Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entering the Rocktoberfest tournament(24 hour tourny) in Ocean City Md. Haven't done any Ocean fishing for Rockfish. Looking for lure/ trolling suggestions. Links to any websites with material to study is appreciated as well. Fishing for the tourny is restricted to no farther than 3miles offshore. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I am not an expert, but you can apply the same big fish principles used in the bay to the ocean. I.e. big parachutes, umbrella rigs etc. Mojos helping the lures get down deep will work as well. Fish will likely be more schooled up than your typical spring rockfish, so look for birds, bait, etc before putting lines in. Some folks I believe will use boards and many rods, but given the schooling potential this could backfire if you get totally covered up. Captain's discretion there I suppose. BTW, the 3-mile limit is not just for the tourney -- it is federal law.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most use stretch 25 and 30's usually a 6 rod spread, mojo's work well too with a big fly on a 3 way swivel. Bomber makes a similar plug to a stretch which I have had good luck with. Try to fish rips where there is a big depth change. A moving tide is way better slack

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
The tournament dates look bit early for a good run of big bass along the coast but some surmise that the big ones come down the coast first (LBI surf tournament is usually won early in the season). Bad part about the early season is usually slammer blues are present until the water temp really starts to drop. This means rubber shads like we use in the bay get torn up fast and easy. Because of this I recommend big swim plugs, big bunker spoons, or big red hoses for trolling. Chunking out side the inlets could be another option to go with or even drifting live eels outside the inlets could be good too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When is the tournament? along the De Md coast it seems like the best fishing is in late November. they don't seem to usually get here until last week of October and it is usually very spotty until mid Nov. and usually over by 12/15

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
When is the tournament? along the De Md coast it seems like the best fishing is in late November. they don't seem to usually get here until last week of October and it is usually very spotty until mid Nov. and usually over by 12/15
Every fisherman has his theories but I grew up fishing south Jersey in the Cape May rips and my father always counted on just after the last full moon in October for the big bass to show in DE Bay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It may be a bit too early to troll as successfully as fishing live spot/eels on the tip of the south jetty. Keep an eye on reports as the time gets closer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
October 10-11 is the tournament. Also categories for heaviest flounder, trout , tautog, and an open category. guess I'll just have to bring all the options along and try it all!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Every fisherman has his theories but I grew up fishing south Jersey in the Cape May rips and my father always counted on just after the last full moon in October for the big bass to show in DE Bay.
I agree I'm in Lewes and the early bite is always on the shoals off of Cape May. Then usually 2 weeks later in DE and OC. Its 35 mile from OC inlet to the rips off Cape May

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Do you know how Rocktober came about? When the season first reopened after the moratorium on October 1st. 1990, I had brochures that read Rocktober fishing Charters printed up and placed in Baltimore tackle shops That was a few years BC (before computers). It was simple to think of and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one that thought of that at the time but that's when, why and how the phrase became coined. The season was opened in October because the DNR felt that it was best to leave the stripers alone during the summer months when stripers were under stress from warm water and didn't want fishermen harassing them for a useless demise. They then extended the season longer into the fall and finally opened it up all season. Vintage trivia.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Classic Trivia:
In 1985, nearly three thousand signatures were collected for a petition to Congress to formally designate October as “Rocktober” on all classic rock-format radio stations in the United States and Guam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts