Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install two rod holders in the gunnel closer to the console. Right now i only have the two toward the stern of the boat. My question is what is the normal degree for that rod position? For anyone with a newer Kencraft Challenger 206 that has one of these boats, i would like to know from you to see what yours are because that is the boat I have.

Thanks...Keith

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Depends on how the existing rod holders are set up. What you want is separation of the lines when rods are in the holders. Typically this is acheived by increasing angle of turnout from astern and by degree angle of holder itself. So if your stern holder is a 15 deg set dead astern, and the next forward is 15 deg set at a 15 deg offset, then the next one will need to be offset by more of an angle and possible have a holder with more incline. maybe a 30 deg offset by 30 deg from dead astern?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the stern ones are straight out the back, and i think they are 30*. I dont have any as the second ones, that is what i am going to be installing. I think that 15* should be enough, but i wondered if 30* would help keep line seperated better or not.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
My recommendation would be to purchase four of them and get it all over with because after you install two, you are just going to want to install 2 more. Get 15 degrees angled out a little for the first set, and then 30 angled out a little more for the second set.

BPS suprisingly sells some very good rod holders at a very reasonable price. (like 20 bucks) They are suprisingly high quality stainless steel and I have not had any issues with them for going on three years now. If you get the model number of what you want from the web site, they can order them for you in the store over at the electronics counter in marine.

Offshore Angler Stainless Steel Rod Holders

· Registered
616 Posts
I have used a bunch of the cheaper stainless holders on my boat and they have been great--i couldn't justify $80 holders for an 18' boat - Boaters World has them too.

The only thing to watch out for is the gimbal pin--on a couple of the ones that I ordered from BPS, they are not lined up properly and when you put a gimbaled rod in them, you can't get the rod to line up properly--the ones that I got at Boaters World were all fine--

Hans

· Registered
6,756 Posts
BEFORE you go cuttin',MAKE sure there is enough room in the Gunnel.It may look wide enough,but remember....The Rod Holders will be at an angle not only rearward but also towards the inside of the Boat.Just call Kencraft and ask them,They have Great Customer service.[Mike]

· Registered
3,149 Posts
Good point Mike. I installed a couple of zero degree holders where I was tight for space. I really like having more permanent holders. I wasn't sure about the zero degree holders but found them nice for board rods. I would use angled holders where space permitted, as described above.

· Registered
3,393 Posts
Are you talking about the angle of the holder itself or the angle at which you will be rotating the forward (new) rod holders towards the outside of the boat. Personally when I went to purchase additional rod holders I contacted Boston Whaler and bought them there, that way all my rod holders matched. I also purchased a set of zero degree holders from Whaler for more rod storage. Surprisingly the Whaler rod holders were cheaper that the ones at Boater's World, BPS or West Marine. Install the forward rod holders angled outward at approximately 45 degrees. Don't forget to countersink the bolt holes or your gelcoat will chip. Also you must drill the big hole, for the rod holder tube, on an angle to facilitate the oblong cross section of the tube where it intersects the gunwale. Through bolt with oval head 1/4" x 20 SS bolts washers and nylock nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.