Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add a couple of rods for my spring trolling spread-
I need a couple to run tandems off of my planer boards-
What actions and weight classes are best for this? I would rather not overdo it too much--

Hans

·
Registered
124 Posts
I second the UGS call. I use 20-40lb Ugly Stick Custom and 330s with Power Handles. They are pretty cheap, good guides that dont scar with braid, fairly sensitive tips so you can see the lure action but still have plenty of backbone. TLD 20/25 on Pen or Shimmono light offshore rods for the UBs.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I've been getting some amazingly inexpensive heavy action boat rods at Sports Authority over the past several years, and have been very happy with them. In fact they have held up better than some of the $40-$60 Penn rods I bought (which have been a sad disappointment).
I have bought rods with a list price of $20 to $30 there that have worked very well, and Sports Authority has frequent sales. I even got a few compliments on them from HOs coming out with me...and that was before they learned the price. I am planning on running a larger spread this spring, and just bought 2 more for $20 each (before a 25% off coupon).

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I think I have found the best buy rod for trolling the bay. I am about to order 6 Shakespeare Tidewaters in the 6'6" 20-40lb to go with my Penn GTI's. I was comparing them directly to the pole I liked best (Penn Senator Special 3/0) and the only differences are the slick butt and aluminum reel seat. Being that I only use 30# class gear, I dont believe that the slick butt and reel seat are all that important. If I was fishing for harder pulling fish it would be a different story and I will have a couple of umbrella poles that are heavier. You can find these rods for $40-$45 a peice and they come with a 5 year warranty..

To me it is deal that cannot be beat.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/products/products.php?p=10

1 - 6 of 6 Posts