Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been doing alot of headboat wreck fishing (snapper/sea bass/trigger) and have decide to purchase my own gear. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good saltwater combo for this type of fishing?

I've seen this combo at Boater's World

Penn 330GTI Reel-6'6" PSB6630 Rod Trolling Combo - 93330 - BoatersWorld.com

Also, I'm looking for something that would ease the fatigue of cranking a fish in.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

:fishing2:

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
A lot of people like the penn 330's I personnaly do not. I have two of them and they are the first reels showing major deterioration. The drags are getting stiff and the bearings when craking are making a lot of noise, I know they will go out any time now. This is going into their third season. Not long enough for me.

My recomendation would be the penn 113h combo at boaters world, I think it is still 99.00$, I can't speak for the rod, but the Penn 113 and 114 reels are FAR superior to the 320's and 330's

Save your self the headache later on and Buy the Penn 113h or 114h, they have been around a long time and have a proven reputation. They are not level winds, but you'll get used to that just fine.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
neon:
I personally use a Shimano Torium 20 spooled with either 65 or 50 lb braid on a 6'6" Shimano Tallus MH rod. The 6.2:1 retrieve ratio is what you really want for any type of wreck fishing, it helps get the fish quickly out of the structure and minimizes the amount of cranking you do in a day (your arms will thank you). This combination works well from offshore wreck fishing to Toggin' at the CBBT to casting diamond jigs to Stripers and Blues. It is a versatile setup that you will get lots of use out of.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
It would be easier to recommend based on $ range, but I have a few favorite combos for different situations. For Sea bassin in under 125' I use a Shimano Corvalis mounted on a BPS graphite series muskie rod. Whole combo runs about 100$ For a little more $ I like the Torium 16 mounted on a Lamiglass 7040C. It's a heavier combo but can handle just about any type of bottom fishing you throw at it. My third set-up is a Tekota 700 on a Shimano Saragosa rod. When I ge tired of levelwinding myself I use the Tekota. All spolled with 50 or 65# braid topshotted with 60# mono leader.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to give a big thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll start with the Penn 113 and maybe later buy the Shimano Torium 20 for it's cranking power.

Again I'd like to give a big thanks to you all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My favorite is the Penn 500 Jigmaster w/50lb Power Pro on a Penn Power Stick, PC3827, 7', MH, 15-40lb. Actually like it better than my Calcutta 700. Pulled up a bunch of Tiles from 275' with the jigmaster last Tue.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with the 113's for the money It's hard to beat the reliaability of these reels. I have a pair that have been around for 10 yr's. I am hard on my tackel only a freshwater wash after fishing. These reels seem to be as good as the day i purchased them.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Too bad they don't still make TLD 10's. Bullet proof and easy as pie to rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts