Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Rods that I bought on E-bay that need some help.
These are stand-up trolling rods that appear to be made of good components.
The problem is that the Reel Seats are not installed properly and the reel can
revolve freely around the blank. Does anyone know of an easy fix for this problem?

Tom

·
Registered
504 Posts
You are not going to like either answer, but here we go. The first way to fix this problem, assuming that they are graphite reelseats, is to drill a small hole through the reelseat and blank and insert epoxy and a pin to further lock it in place. Second, and a much better method would be to totally strip the rod of guides and forgrip, remount the reelseat and then put on new forgrip and rewrap the guides to the rod. Both are very time consuming, but as mentioned, the second option is the better of the two. Knowing that the rods will be used for offshore, I don't think that the first option will be viable for you. The second will probably be your only option.

Another option is to cut the rod in the reelseat area and install (PROPERLY), a unibutt. This would be the easiest option.

Sorry for the bad news, and I know that you know this now, but to the other folks, please don't buy rods on Ebay. There is a big reason that rods sell for 30 to 60 bucks. They are not the highest quality.
Good luck with them. Let me know if I can be of help rectifying this problem.

Kevin Knox

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kevin. I've learned my lesson about buying Rods on E-bay. This Builder evidently
uses Quality Components , but doesn't know how to build a rod. What a Shame!

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Kevin is right both methods are time consuming but the 2nd one is the way I would go. I just replaced a reel seat for a guy because of the same reason and he opted to strip the rod and put on a new reel seat. Like Kevin if you need any help just let me know...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts