Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using to store their rods during the Winter? Mine end up leaning in the corner of the garage. I would like to build something to store them a little neater. Thinking of using PVC pipe to make a stand that would sit on the floor and hold the rods in a vertical position. Any ideas, suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I want to make a holder system in the garage that will get my rods off the ground...as to not take up floor space. I have a 12' ceiling in my garage and plan to make 3 L-brackets out of steel, then mount a 2x12 about 10 1/2 feet up the wall like a shelf. On the 2" face of the 2x12, screw in eye hooks, that I can hang the eyelet of my rods from. This will put the butt of the rods just above my fishing workbench(an extra washer and dryer). I can then store tackle boxes and such on top of the shelf.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I store about 20 rods horizontally on my garage walls. I hammer large nails into several adjacent studs, then lay the rods across the nails. Most of my rods are 2-piece rods that I hold together for storage with velcro strips. The only suitable photo I could find on this computer is attached showing storage for about 8 rods. I have similar arrangements on other walls around the garage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Once you are done for the season - be sure to take the reel off the rod.Salt can find it's way under the reel seat.I like to clean the seat and the rod hood - then put some Corrision Block on the reel seat and put the reel back on.I also lube the rings that hold the hood tight.

Good idea to also lube the reel before letting them sit all winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shawn,
That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Thanks for all the input guys.
Jim

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Jim (Contender 21) has a sweet rod storage setup. I copied mine from him, but I am in NC so can't take photos, maybe he will read this and post...

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
My storage is similar to Stonewall's. I use 1-1/2 pvc, 3" long for the butt and tip end...except I cut a 1" wide slot for the tip end. Mine is more labor since a large hole (~5/16") needs to be drilled in one side of the pvc and small hole for the drywall screw to go into the wood...need to get a screwdriver attachment through. Alternating tip and butt you can squeeze a lot rods in a small area. Had pix but snapfish doesn't work since Brandon changed the site.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I have the square versions of Stonewalls. They are for hanging bikes up in the garage, etc. I screw them into my joists in the unfinished side of my basement overhead. I set my pairs together ( one reel on each end). I've got around 26 rods that way. They stay warm ( as opposed to the garage) and I don't have to worry about people sneaking into my basement, as I would in the garage, If I leave the door open.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Jamie, I used to have mine facing the same direction. I found out that the wife gets confused when the rods are in an alternating pattern - equals about 12 rods that she can't count.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rod storage

These are the PVC ones that I was selling
Sold 6-8 of them but nothing after that
Works great for storage and cleaning them after a trip
I have a 20 rod one ready to go if you want it
$90 (Only one left at this price)
Material cost me $70

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Jim, my garage ceilings are too high to get to rods easily. I needed storage that would sit on the floor, but could be moved for occasional garage cleaning. I made my rod storage holders using a plastic tub, pvc and quck set cement. Pick a tub about six to eight inches deep with the size of your choice. I used tubs about 18 inches by 30 inches. Cut pvc tubes that will fit your largest rods cut to about 15 inches. Fill the tub with a bag of quick set cement and mix in water. When it is mixed and starting to get thick, insert your tubes and let dry. I can fit ten tubes for spinning, bay trolling rods in each tub and eight larger tubes spaced farther apart for big offshore stuff. I've also seen it done with a short mud bucket, but I like the rectangular tubs for maximizing space. I have four of them side by side to hold all my rods.

They are very heavy when done, which I like, but you can move them around when needed. For my pricy stuff, I run a bicycle rope lock anchored to a eye bolt screwed into a wall stud. Just makes it secure enough that someone could not do a snatch and run when my wife leaves the garage door open all day. Sorry I don't have a pic, but I did show them in a post about a year ago that I think was titled garage room, or fihing room?, if you want to do a search. There were other good ideas in that post. Found the pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,405 Posts
Once you are done for the season - be sure to take the reel off the rod.Salt can find it's way under the reel seat.I like to clean the seat and the rod hood - then put some Corrision Block on the reel seat and put the reel back on.I also lube the rings that hold the hood tight.

Good idea to also lube the reel before letting them sit all winter.
It's never done Skip :D:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
474 Posts
This is what works for me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts