Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody want to buy a pair of yakima roof racks for a car/truck with rain gutters. Excellent shape and locks all around.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I have a pair of those too. They've been relegated to way in the back of the storage selves. Not many cars have gutters anymore. I used mine on my Jeep Cherokee and a Dodge Aries Sudan. They go on fast and latch on really tight... good system.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I was planning on just using a set of pads on the factory roof rack that I have on my Cherokee...

Any reason why a Yakima or Thule rack would be a better choice than a padded factory roof rack?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
If you only transport a kayak then probably not, pads will do, although I have never used pads so can't speak from experience. I use my Yakama rack to haul around my canoe and sometimes a mountain bike. If you are putting a canoe on a Yakama rack then I strongly advise buying a 4-set of load stops ($48). These little L-shaped attachments keep the canoe held tightly in place even when I pass big trucks with their blast of wind.

·
Registered
707 Posts
the factory racks just cannot take the loading of the aftermarket. when you cinch the kayak down you will see those laod bars on your factory rack bow down some.

they don't have the versatility either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was planning on just using a set of pads on the factory roof rack that I have on my Cherokee...

Any reason why a Yakima or Thule rack would be a better choice than a padded factory roof rack?
I had a Grand Cherokee Limited for a few years. I used the Yakima kayak saddles and the factory roof rack attachments also made by Yakima. I hauled it all the way to the Outerbanks with absolutely no worry.

The Kayak saddles are pretty nice because of the way the boat sits and the tie down straps that you use hold the boat nice and tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts