Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I just purchase a 19' Whaler this summer and just used the anchor for the first time last week; went down to the boat today to check it out and get it ready for the week and notice mold in the inside of my fish box (where, like the rookie I am, I stored it). What should you do when you use your anchor and are not going to use it for a week or so?

Take it out of the boat to dry?

Thanks for your help.....Again

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Mold often grows in wet/dark places as you found out. Best if your can air dry the anchor rode or leave the hatch open.

If not most boating supply stores sell Damp Away or a mildew/mold absorber.

A touch of bleach in a quart of water in a spray bottle will kill mold :thumbup:.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My Anchor, chain and line were stored in a hatch in the bow of my boat. I found that the line would not dry properly, so to eliminate the problem, I have pulled the line from the storage locker, unbolted it and keep it below in the cabin with the rest of my dry lines. When needed, I re-attach it and drop the anchor. It takes a little more time, but i don't have to worry about a damp/wet anchor line. If I plan on anchoring, I re-attach before leaving the slip. It only takes a minute to do.

If used (wet), I let it dry on the bow and come back the next day when it is usually dry.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I always leave all the hatches open after I'm out, Go ahead and rinse the line and anchore off, with fresh water while your cleaning the boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts