Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Meant ROGUE. (should have stayed awake in english class)

Not trying to preach.

Just a heads up in case you are fishing around the 3rd Island. This rock will ROCK your world.:))

I hit it many years ago and I have fished on many a boat that has hit it also. Bad deal.:eek2:

It is located off the 3rd Island.

Here is a picture of the notoriuos rock that has torn up props, lower units, propellar shafts, hulls, etc;

Just posting this for those that may be out there fishing and have not heard of it.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
To this day I can not believe the Coast Guard has not put a piling there to mark that dangerous rock.I've heard of many mishaps/damaged lower units from fishermen/boaters hitting that at high tide.

Guess someone needs to die from hitting it before a lighted marker is put there.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,

It has been talked about forever but nothing has been accomplished. Crazy. It seems that everyone is pointing fingers back towards another goverment agency.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I think a few local divers tried to jury rig a pole but the waves knocked it away.

Would be a good Navy Seal operation in winter to put explosives on it to knock in down about 12 feet or so.

They blow up ship wrecks that are near the surface so boats do not hit them.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a few local divers tried to jury rig a pole but the waves knocked it away.

Would be a good Navy Seal operation in winter to put explosives on it to knock in down about 12 feet or so.

They blow up ship wrecks that are near the surface so boats do not hit them.
There have been many volunteers including military personnel over the years to make this hazard go away.

There are several divers on this board that have volunteered to get rid of it once and for all or to at least mark it. From What I understand, the CBBT Board has authority over It and they will not play ball with anyone.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good Post Hookinfinger... The gents at Crab Creek even have a picture at the launch office. They say it has got worse and there are more now. It could be tragic for people that do not know about it. It was submersed most of the day today, but I am sure only by a foot or so. Ben

DEVIOUS

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good Post Hookinfinger... The gents at Crab Creek even have a picture at the launch office. They say it has got worse and there are more now. It could be tragic for people that do not know about it. It was submersed most of the day today, but I am sure only by a foot or so. Ben

DEVIOUS
Yeah bud, it looks like you have a lot of water and then BOOM.

The rogue has a lot of cousins out there. It is easy to get fooled during the day when you are trying to fish in tight to the rocks but at night it is best to stay WAY, AWAY from the area.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
come on now guys, rouge ( or table ) rock is not all that bad. i got to go from suk 85 2 strokes to 115 4 strokes jus cause of her!

·
Registered
649 Posts
This is great information for a newbie to the area (which is me) and I thank you for the post. The pictures show the rocks very nicely, but don't show on which side out the island they reside. Perhaps they do for someone more familiar with the area, but not to me.

If I were going out to sea between the 3rd and 4th islands, would the rouge (and her sisters) be to port or starboard, before or after the bridge? Thanks for the great heads up.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Stubby - it's on the channel side of the third island (not the bridge side), where the rocks meet the water, maybe 30 yds off... dead in the middle, not to either side.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is great information for a newbie to the area (which is me) and I thank you for the post. The pictures show the rocks very nicely, but don't show on which side out the island they reside. Perhaps they do for someone more familiar with the area, but not to me.

If I were going out to sea between the 3rd and 4th islands, would the rouge (and her sisters) be to port or starboard, before or after the bridge? Thanks for the great heads up.
Sorry for being vague.

Here are some past threads regarding the Rogue Rock.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virginia-angler/219693-rouge-rock.html

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virginia-angler/217719-3rd-island-cbbt-rogue-rock.html

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/che...ryland-angler/191089-rogue-rock-reminder.html

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/virginia-angler/77754-about-rouge-rock.html

Dennis:))

·
Registered
353 Posts
Al,
I saw that deal this summer from my tower while up there on a 4 day Cobia trip from OI.......I thought to myself "That could be bad"........plenty of Spades around it!!!!!

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Al,
I saw that deal this summer from my tower while up there on a 4 day Cobia trip from OI.......I thought to myself "That could be bad"........plenty of Spades around it!!!!!
Thats kind of how I met the Rock. I was catcing some nice Gray Trout back then in close. I got real excited and forgot to keep an eye on things.

I slammed into it and heard a huge crunching noise. I thought it tore a hole out of the bottom of the boat. Turned out to be not that bad but there was plenty of damage.

Dennis:))

·
Registered
114 Posts
in your first picture is that it sticking up just past the main group of rocks? and i would gather that is looking east?? i fish the third alot.. mostly at night and have never seen it though i know of it. i creep up to the rocks from the bay side and drift the flood.. just wondering if its on a side or right in the middle of the spline.. thanks .

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Cigar-stub

Do a search on the board for rogue rock. There are posts with map locations provided. Usually, you cannot actually the rock, just the swirling water around and over the top of it.

Brandon put out a post with numbers last year: N37-02-270, W76-04-448.

G

·
How about Wavy TV "10 on your side". We'll take them out there in a nice boat on low tide and show them what CBBT won't do except collect fee's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts