Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Knew today was going to get windy but hoped to catch our limit before it got too rough.Started out the morning dragging a bucktail but not off the boat :D. A deer was hit on Rt. 260 and the police had just gotten there.They tried to warn me of the carcass in the road but it was too late.I had to drive over the deer at about 10 mph - what a steaming mess in the road I left behind :pp.Bambi got hit by 5 tires before flopping out from under the trailer.That was enough excitement for the morning and we got to Breezy at 7:15 am.Fellow Tfers Stinkbait (Jim) , Rem`1224 (Ralph) and Mlag (Mark) helped get all the rods in holders and out we went.Ran right to the western edge near #78A and put over the spread.Since it was cloudy-I switched a silver 13/0 CA spoon to gold for the WWB.Had all the rods out at 8:00 and trolled east towards the marker.Water temp. was 54-55*.The WWB got hit at 8:25 but the fish missed the lure-not uncommon with big spoons.5 minutes later a tandem off the board 55 feet got hit and Jim reeled in a fat 36 incher.

Jim owns Marty's baitshop and the fish hit on a green/chart shad from his store :thumbup:.

That color has been good as well as purple.Jim carries some nice shads.The wind was picking up but it was not too bad-yet.Around 9:30 a tandem white off the boards got crushed and the fish took alot of line on the first run.Ralph really did a good job fighting the big Rock.

The fat 43 incher was soon in the boat and we saw it was deeply hooked so it went into the box.It hit just past #78 in 70 feet.

About 10:00 the WWB got hit again and this time the hook held.Mark let Jim reel it in - part being nice and part knowing it was 320 feet back :pp.Jim got the 37 incher in and we only needed one more.It was starting to whitecap and we knew it was going to get rough once the wind shifted to the north.I was just getting to the third donut when a wireline outfit got hit.The crew told me to reel it in - not wanting to leave the warm enclosure :D.I love the feel of a Rock on wireline and this one really fought well for it's size.We got the fat 36 incher in the boat and worked in towards shore-hoping for calmer water.Just crossed the channel edge when the WWB got slammed but the fish missed the hooks on the spoon.Saw alot of bait in 55 feet -east of CCNPP - in fact the most all day.Up to then the meter showed very little.Pulled everything in as the wind really started to gust.Ran back along the western shore and it was calm enough to run 27 knots.Found birds just north of Parkers and stopped to jig on them.we were drifting 2 knots- so it was more like trolling.The Rock were very small so we left and headed back to the ramp.Weatherman was dead on today, as we loaded the boat on the trailer- the wind was gusting past 20 knots.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Should've jigged today.......lot more pullage......least you didn't have any trailer problems...gotta be thankful for that......nice report...

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We did stop for a 1/2 hour on some birds.I'm addicted to the trolling for monster Rock - plus tough to eat donuts while reeling in them little 30 inchers :D:D.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great report. Glad to see Jim got his fish in without anyone cranking down on the drag.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Skip,

I ran over a carcass in my little Honda Civic this summer on the way back up from Solomans. Rt 4 at 9:30 at night, bad headlights, 65 mph, and a dear carcass don't mix well. It ripped up some of the plastic under the car, which scraped the entire way home. I didn't see it come out behind me, so I thought that the carcass was dragging under the car for a while.

What a mess. The car really stunk the following morning, and there was blood on the underside of the hood. I'm just glad it didn't cause me to crash or do any real damage to the car.

Mike

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Great job on the fish guys:clapping2:. Nice fat fish Jim, and Great catch Ralph she's a beauty.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:D - believe it or not, we were discussing how hard core you are to be out in a center console this time of year.Heater was not on today but will be soon.Makes waiting out the strikes much easier :thumbup:.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Great report Skip good job on the big fish. I drove thru a deer in PA last summer a semi split him half on one side of the street one on the other look like a splatter film.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Thanks for the invite Skip. Good time. Good company. I still think it was wrong making Jim scrub the deck just because he was a little slow getting that first fish in................

You know, I was taught that we should respect our elders:D Well........I guess he's got to learn:D..........................................Mark

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sure glad I didnt' go out today and instead Jim did! If I woulda gone, I'd been the one scrubbing, except you probably would have given me a tooth brush to use!!! Haha! Glad to see you all got into some nice fish! Good call Skip on not letting Mark reel any in! :poke1: He's been known to loose dem big boys! :whistlingatu: Hope to get out with you all soon!
-PHil

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thanks for the invite Skip. Good time. Good company. I still think it was wrong making Jim scrub the deck just because he was a little slow getting that first fish in................

You know, I was taught that we should respect our elders:D Well........I guess he's got to learn:D..........................................Mark
Dang.....I will post tomorrow. I will tell the reel story. Sometimes...it hurts/stinks to be a HO.., but, you gotta do it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Great day with good company as usual. :thumbup:

We didn't knock 'em out with loads of fish today, but the 4 we brought in were quality, clean, nice looking footballs. Broiled up a nice filet tonight for dinner - yummmm-yum :clapping2:

Day started out real nice...

Got the porcupine spread out pretty quick...

Not only did Jim have to "swab the deck", he also had to stay out in the cold while Skip and Mark stayed warm in the cabin!!

I knew I should have brought the larger cooler today - what was I thinking :rolleyes:

It's not too rough to fish until the entire flag on the board goes under the wavetop!!!!

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was trying to herd the Rock out to the channel where they belong :D.

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
Nice catchin guys! Poor Jim gets stuck with the brush. I know Mark knows how to clean a boat...........I've watched him:yes: It will be heater time soon!...........Gary

1 - 20 of 30 Posts