Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing from a shoot-thru-hull transducer to a transom mounted model. Because of the location on the transom there is not a clean way to route the cable up and over but instead will need to pass through the transom. Can anyone recommend a more professional method to pass the cable through the transom other than just a hole saw and glopping it full of silicone?
Thanks...Bob

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The best way to do it is to drill the hole above the water line. Run the cable up and secure it to the hull every 6" or so putting a dab of marine caulk on the screws before running them in. Run the wire through the hull then caulk around the cable. Then get a stainless clamshell like the one below to dress it up. I then caulk inside the clamshell also. You end up with a nice finished job.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy, that is exactly what I was looking for. I should be able to find them at any of the marine shops?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used white marine tex to fill the hole in the transom of my 2352 due to the size of the hole(1"). Then came inside and did the same thing. I felt that this would stiffin the transom and provide long term leak proofing. Also when you run the cable to the front of your boat(helm), try to keep it away from other cables as much as possible to reduce interference.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I personally wouldn't drill a hole through the core of the transom. Worst yet would be to rely on sealer to insure that no moisture gets into the core of the transom.

If you're really dead set on drilling through the core of the transom you should at least install some sort of a pass through fitting. A thru hull fitting would work well or you could drill the hole oversized and epoxy a piece of PVC tubing into the hole.

This would work better than stuffing the hole with sealer

West Marine: Accessory Product Display

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Consider drilling no holes in the transom. Rip some lines into the back of a piece of thick starboard and 5100 a block to the transom. Works great on mine.

If your scuppers are well above the water line, run the 'ducer cable through the scupper.

This has held up fine for several years on mine:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts