Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Rudee again. Fished Friday and did very well. Limit by 10:30.

pics:

Morning commute:

THE FLEET:

more fleet:

the haul:

While i can not see my self getting tired of chartering (all the captains have been great!) I do miss fishing off my own boat. I am 100% sure i am going to move my boat to Rudee for the winter next year. Fishing off Rudee in the winter is more like a meat haul instead of fishing. I would prefer to jig or cast and take my time getting a limit. Again i still enjoy chartering.

The charter guys definatley show no love to the recs. It was really crowded out there. The pics do not adequately share this and no one was outright rude. But, some big charter boats go where they want when they want and leave the avoidance up to the recs. I can feel their urgency to get the fish while the recs are out there for fun. I would not be in the center of the fleet even though i feel i can run my boats very well. Just does not seem fun keeping track of 3 dozen boats all going in different directions.

Good company. Lots of fish for dinner this week. Lots of fish for dinner this week for neighbors too!

25 miles south of rudee, unbrellas, chartruse, all the rigs were slightly different. Did not seem to matter. If the fish were there we had at least 3 hook ups each pass. Fish up to 40 inches 30lbs or so.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Congrats on a great day! I feel the same about the charter boats. There's nothing like doing it on your own and it doesn't get any better than jigging them on light tackle!! If you're interested in a slip at Rudee for next year, you may want to make your reservation now. I've been involved with a couple friends in a transient slip at Fisherman's Wharf Marina for the last 3 years & I've never seen it so crowded as this year. Good Luck!

Ed

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Thanks Rock,
and congrats. [grin]

That is a crowd.

Speaking of next year. I was thinking this am, that I will try to keep my cat on the trailer over va beach somewheres, during jan/feb.. Do any of you know a good spot to keep it sitting on the trailer???

Dec can keep it on the kipto side at one of the motels.

Thanks, Ron[grin]

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Thanks for the report, I had asked earlier on another forum with no replies yet. Good to know they are still around! I'll give them try this Friday.

·
Registered
861 Posts
R&B, nice report and great pictures. That looks like "High Hopes" in one of those pictures. What a fleet. Are there going to be any fish left to make the Spring run?

Mushy

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one fish,

i do not know of a place to keep a boat on a trailer safely. But, i am just learning the area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
judging from the pictures, you may manage to kill all the stripers by the end of the winter. congrats. Too bad you'll be writing in next summer and fall about "all the dinks." How bout throwing one back once in a while? Sorry for the rant, but gimme a break with the wheelbarrell shot. I seem to remember pictures like that with 15 pound blues a few years back. Now we're all catching 3 pounders and getting excited about it. [sad]

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually, we threw a lot back. My neighbors and my family have already finished all our fillets. None were wasted. I do not believe there is any anecdotal or empirical data to suggest stripers are being over fished? In the last few years i have seen no shortage of stripers in the areas i fish. It used to take some skill and persistance to catch them throughout the year. Lately any idiot (ME) can seem to find them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fair Enough, but many fisherman are too focused on the "limit" and putting the biggest fish they can in the cooler. I've watched guys throw back a dead fish after catching a bigger one later in the day. The current state of stripers on the east coast is pretty good right now, but I could say with confidence that there are more fish in the 16-20 inch range, particularly in the summer and early fall, than I saw a few years ago. This is from my fishing in Massachusetts and here in the bay. Lots of fish, but fewer pigs. For a few years there wasa a 36"limit in new england and during that time we frequently caught fish over 30". Lots from 30-35 and some over 36". They lowered the limt to 28" a few years later when the fishery was deemed "recovered" and guess what?... lots of fish from 20-27 inches. I know charter boatss need to make a living and I respect that, I just am very conscious of the fact that the striper fishery was in big trouble a few years back and we should not become complacent because they've made a comeback. It can happen again.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am sure we are mostly on the same page saltyfly. I would never release a fish that even hinted at not surviving. During the summer I may not keep any fish releasing them all. My kids, while enjoying catching stripers, don't like eating them too much so many trips i keep only one ave sized fish for myself. Same with croaker and spot. Often i could fill up a cooler but only keep one or two for my dinner.

I keep hoping all the dinks mean a great adault class in a couple of years. Additionally, i understand that the class size for stripers varies substantially from year to year because of conditions beyond our control.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10-4 shoes.

There is a good article in Mid-Atlantic Game & Fish (normally a throw-away mag) by Gary Caputi on the population of east coast stripers. I can try to scan it in if the mag is hard to find... I do not know why i get it???? Don't remember signing up.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Dave, after looking forward to it for month, I was unable to get off from work. I'm pretty bummed about it. I will be off the day before and willing to help setup though. Just let me know.

R&B, yeah I also sent you a subscription to Broke Back Gazzette! Comes with a free cowboy hat!

Mushy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts