Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I yaked Rudee Inlet Friday night and Saturday. The Cobia are thick around the grass bank near the police boat station up to the last Oyster sign on the West Grass bank. They tail around the top early in the mornings and late in the after noon. Biggest caught so far was 32". Talked a guy in a new 16' Carolina Skiff onto one and he fought it for about 5 minutes and lost it. But said it was a little under three feet long. Lots of Blues still in but I did catch a keeper Red floating mud minnows.

SUNDAY
Went out to the small boat channel and caught 2 keeper flounder and lots of small ones and small croaker on the out going tide with cut squid.

MONDAY
Caught a lot of striper on the east side sea wall of the first island with just about anything you could throw. Kept one. Blue fish were there too. Mostly used 6" green Gotcha with 1/2 ounce lead heads. Lots of people were hooking up on Black drum with bubblegum/green jerk bait, White 2" grubs. and sardine colored 5" Storm lures. The drum that I saw make the boat were 44" and 48". The guys were throwing light tackle and fought them on 7' rods for 30 to 45 minutes. Some were still fighting them when I left.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6:00 am in a Carolina Skiff J16 with a 9.9 Johnson til about 11:00 I believe. If that was you and the other guy that I talked too coming back out of the rougher water, that was me. I talked to one of you in between the bridges about 1/2 mile off the beach. Read your report. You guys did pretty good.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ok, I remember now. It was me you talked to, you said you had a yak too. I thought you meant you were in a yak. I was going to call BS because I didn't see anyone else fishing the CBBT from a yak that day.

The 26" striper Greg caught was a nice fish, fat, probably 7-8lbs. All the stripers I hooked up with either got off at the boat or were covered with sores! My keeper flounder tasted good though.

Tom

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compared to the rest of the boats out that day I guess you could say I was in a Yak. But, no I meant, (Like the bumper sticker) My other boat is a Kayak. It was getting a little choppy out where you guys were. It calmed down a lot on Monday. Glad ya'll did so well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went out June 1st in a 37' boat and we caught some stripers. We only had a samll window to fish, and went from 1st island to 3rd,4th, and High Rise. Awful choppy that day. We finished up with 7 striper. Blues were hitting the rip hard at 4 when we left.

·
Registered
162 Posts
well just got back from rude ---no brown suits that i can see. Landed just one fish an 17" flounder. Lost all the rest not good hook sets they were hitting lite. Did not get to see what the others were but the were larger than the flounder....P.S. two summers ago had a brown suit to the boat in rude when my spec reel broke trying to horse him away from a pile in the million dollar cove.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is this the fish you were talking bout?

http://indian-river.fl.us/fishing/fish/cobia.html

if so thats great

Actually the ones I have caught looked a little like that except they had a Prince Albert through the dorsel and an "I luv Jetnoise" tatoo on their back.

I guess I'm being called a liar, but thats Okay. I'm not the only one seeing them in there. As for why they are there it's because, its not unusal to see Cobia inshore. The water was actually 6-7 degree's warmer that the ocean the last few weeks. Thanks for the love.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Juke,

I believe it is possible. I don't think anyone called you a liar. Maybe questioned whether you had identified the fish properly. Since they don't know you, cut them some slack. They don't know whether you are an expert or a newbie. If there are cobia in Rudee, I want one! I have never seen one in there but I've only fished it 4 times. I have to admit that when you said they were catching black drum at such a rate by the first island I was a little sceptical but others have been there, done that now. Ric (Fisherman) needs to get on here and tell us the black drum tale.

Good luck and hope you can get one of those cobia in the boat. I haven't got mine yet.

Tom

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like I said its not a problem if I'm questioned. I'm not a newbie. 17th street said they also have been getting reports of people catching and releasing small Cobia in Rudee. I've been telling everything I know about the situation so that others could take advantage. If they're not seeing it, I can't help it. I saw someone going out Sunday morning in an orange Yak, and let them know where I had been seeing them. I say seeing them since they are running around just under the surface and the tail and dorsal have been breaking quite a bit. The first one I hooke was less than 5 minutes after I met Chad for the first time. He was too small, but a great time. There is more than one, and sometimes you can see them bulling the water like a Red Drum, then break the surface, and swim in SA patterns. They discard your tosses and dive down with a slap of the tail sometimes, and sometimes they take the bait. I suggest long plastic worms since they favor Eels.

This morning someone in the office asked if I was out at the 1st Island cause they saw a Yak out there, I told them no, but I think I know who it was.

I don't take the "questioning personally", I just replied in kind. I even saw people questioning the size of Chads Fish, so I half expect someone to question the validity of the statements.

I try to give a detailed report, because I dislike when someone says, "I caught some fish, there was a bunch of them in the water, and I caught most of them in the mouth". Like that helps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Juke,
I feel you bro, you know people can question you all day. If you know, then you know. I wouldn't sweat it. I would recommend that when people question you just answer up as professionally as possible and just let your credibility establish itself. There are people that didn't believe I caught the cobia from the yak and I had pictures. I knew people would question the red, but I posted the account and the size of the fish to provide a little perspective. If people don't believe me then F 'em. I fish for enjoyment, comradere, relaxation and to challenge myself to become a better angler ever time I get in the water. Some people just fish for trophies, papers and for numbers. I am not a fan of calling people out publicaly on boards because it causes rifts and this should be about sharing info, if you bash a guy when he (or she) puts up a post then you will loose valuable input because they will eventually stop posting. Keep posting, keep plugging and put up a picture of one real soon and silence the naysayers.
Chad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.