Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF you count the No See Ums, or "flying teeth" They were so bad that I called it quits after about 30 minutes of punishment. I did learn a few things though!

1.) No See Ums are not affected by DEET.
2.)No See Ums can get into and bite you in every crack and crevice, ears, nose, mouth,even the holes in your Crocs (which are foam clog shoes).
3.) No See Ums can fly faster than you can paddle, and the lazy ones just land on your kayak and get you when you stop paddling.
4.) No See Ums taste as bad as Deet repellant.
5.) The Thermacell repellers do not work, when they are sitting in the box at home in the garage.
6.) Buy that boonie hat with the mosquito net built in.
7.) The cloud will follow you all the way to you truck and get inside with you. It took 55mph and all four windows down to get rid of them!

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is too funny. Yep, it is time. I was in my backyard late this afternoon working on my fence. They were hiding in the grass. Light wind. I walked across the yard and the bite was on! I think you have to eat about 5 million of them (approx. 1/2 lb) to get any nutrition out of them.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Avon skin so soft worked down in the Keys for them little buggers. I think deet makes then stronger, they dont like the girly Avon stuff(neither do I but if it keeps them away I will wear it). Martin:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know the cure as crazy as it sounds.

We were fishing south of New Orleans a few years ago. After getting our limit of trout we went over to a cleaning table at the marina and the gnats were so bad we could hardly clean the fish. A Cajun guys walks up to inspect the catch and there is not a single no-see-um on him anywhere compared to us where you couldn’t even see skin.

His trick….Victoria Secret Amber Romance Skin Conditioner.

He said he pays $9.00 a bottle. I offered him $20 for a squirt but he’d put it on before leaving home that morning and this was about 4:00 in the afternoon…it was still working.

I have since used it many times without fail. It won’t stop the ankle biting flies or mosquitoes but it will end no-see-um agony. Make sure your significant other is onboard and be ready to take a ribbing from your buddies, but it works. It comes in what looks like a big clear toothpaste tube, smells horrible and is extremely embarrassing to purchase.

I might take mine down to Rudee this weekend and see if I sell squirts for $20 a pop.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I was a kid my Mom and Dad and a friend of mine went fishing and camping at Cape Lookout, NC. After dark, the gnats came out in full force. It was summer, and hot, but my friend and I, in my little pup tent, were in our sleeping bags trying to get away from them.:helpsmilie: I had a can of Raid Yard Gard, and was spraying it inside the tent :eek: to keep them away. Eventually there was a spot on the tent where the spray had collected, and the gnats kept going to that spot, and we kept spraying. That tent had a permanent stain from that night.

As I recall, we ended up sleeping (what little we did sleep) completely (head and all) inside the sleeping bags.:clapping2:

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the thermacell repellers do work, if you remember to bring them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The No Seeums Are Terrible At My House. The Thermocell Helps Although I Still Get Bit A Little. I Hate Wareing Bug Spray. I Might Give The Victoria Secret Stuff A Try.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In case you have not seen my posts in recent years, I am on a mission to find out what WILL repel biting bugs, especially black flies. I have a new product that is guaranteed to repel the flies. I will "test" it this season and will post up the results if they are good...............and I might become the area distributor!

·
Registered
81 Posts
glantier,

It doesn’t come with a model but if you pick the right Victoria Secret outlet you can buy it from one.

This stuff really works. I have 2 tubes on the boat and 1 the truck.

It is a good conversation starter with the beautiful store clerks wanting to know what you plan on doing with 6 tubes of Amber Romance. I have yet to be honest with them, they probably think I’m dating a fat girl.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
glantier,

It doesn't come with a model but if you pick the right Victoria Secret outlet you can buy it from one.

This stuff really works. I have 2 tubes on the boat and 1 the truck.

It is a good conversation starter with the beautiful store clerks wanting to know what you plan on doing with 6 tubes of Amber Romance. I have yet to be honest with them, they probably think I'm dating a fat girl.
ROTFLMAO :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Avon skin so soft worked down in the Keys for them little buggers. I think deet makes then stronger, they dont like the girly Avon stuff(neither do I but if it keeps them away I will wear it). Martin:D
25 years in the Army and a good bite of that in the field or desert. Skin So Soft has always bein reliable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The description "flying teeth" aptly deascribes these tiny blood suckers. I fish Rudee a lot and vouch for the fact that they are very bad these early in the morning and late in the evening. I figure I'm at least 2 quarts low because of them!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts