Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any modding to a 10/22 they would recommend? I've got a target model that's pretty as can be so I don't wanna do anything I'll regret afterward. Also what's your best ammo for getting tight groups. Mine shoots Lapua pretty well but I've got some old Wolfe match target stuff that's lights out. someone told me it was Unused Russian Olympic practice ammo. I've played around with some Eley but my gun doesn't seem to like it much.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Best mod that I ever did to my 22 was put it in the cabinet and buy a .17 HMR. If I am looking for high accuracy with any distance I go with the .17, if I just wanna have some fun I just blow some rounds through one of my 22's.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.17's are ok but for pure plinking I prefer my 22lr's. I've got a Savage .17 thats pretty good on varmints out to 100 but because of the wind drift I usually just go for the Tikka master sporter in 22-250. Now when I get tired of that I'll move up the the Remington VLS in .243 or the Abolt in 25-06. See where I'm going with this? we all have our favorites but there's a time and place for everything and I'd rather take the 22 plnking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 10/22 is small block Chevy of .22s. Every one makes all kinds of parts for it. The barrel is changed with two allen screws no head spacing or gunsmith required. If you change it don’t over tighten the screws as you can bend the aluminum retaining block. But if you do Doug Koenig makes a steel replacement. Two pins and the trigger group falls out. A friend picked up a Volquartsen trigger kit. I modified my stock parts to match the Volquartsen and have a nice crisp 2lb trigger. They have kits that go from replacing individual parts to the whole trigger group. Jard and Volquartsen both have whole trigger groups as complete replacements. You can keep the stock parts on the self, but if you do they will never see the light of day again. They run around $200. One of the mods I did was an extended magazine release, great for the range but I keep hitting it and dropping mags in the woods squirrel hunting. That whole thing called for a second 10/22 for the woods.

My Adams & Bennett barreled gun likes Winchester T22 and Federal Match. I haven’t tried the Federal Ultra Match or other high dollar ammo but it shoots bulk Remington ¾ of an inch at 50yds. I do most of my shooting offhand and that’s better than me.

Walt

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The barrel on my target model is beautiful so I doubt I'll be replacing that. I have been interested in the Volquartsen trigger group and may go that route. I had the mag release extension on ther ebut like you decided I didn't prefer it that way. On a light wind day i can get my gun to shoot in the .4's at 50 off the bench. That's target subsonic ammo though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts