Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several strips of Starboard in the cabin of my Parker that are held in place with SS screws. Several screws are showing rust and there are some rust stains on the Starboard as a result. What is the best way to remove the rust stains?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
716 Posts
CLR. Might even be available in your local grocery store.

I would replace the screws. Pretty much the only thing that will corrode a half-way decent SS is bleach.

Chuck

·
Registered
236 Posts
Remove the screws, put some chrome polish on a cloth and rub the screw heads on the cloth till they shine. Clean the Starboard with CLR & bleach. Also a cheap screwdriver bit will transfer steel to the S/S screw head and over time show up as rust. Low grade S/S can be picked up or moved around with a strong magnet. 316S/S can't!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Remove the screws, put some chrome polish on a cloth and rub the screw heads on the cloth till they shine. Clean the Starboard with CLR & bleach. Also a cheap screwdriver bit will transfer steel to the S/S screw head and over time show up as rust. Low grade S/S can be picked up or moved around with a strong magnet. 316S/S can't!
Do NOT mix CLR with bleach, especially in a confined area like a boat cabin. CLR is an acid that will disassociate the chlorine in the bleach turning it into chlorine gas.

Chuck

·
Registered
34 Posts
It may be nasty stuff but that starbrite hull cleaner works really well on rust stains. I use it and have had no problems.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Anyone ever use OSPHO on rusty stained fiberglass? It takes the rust off great, not sure how the fiberglass is affected long term though. If you have any rusty metal this stuff is the ****. Turns it jet black and rock hard, no more rust.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cabyn Fever, Chuck, MY BAD! You are so right, I should have included " NOT AT THE SAME TIME" on the CLR & bleach. It is not a good mix. Thank you for pointing that out.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate the replys. I have FSR & Bar Keepers so will try that first. Was planning on replacing the screws anyway. One of a number of small boat projects planned for the winter to keep me sane....

John

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Could also try "magic eraser" for the fiberglass. Can be found at any grocery store. Works great for rust stains on my porcelain sink / toilet without harming the finish. Cheap and easy. Use dry or moisten with h2o.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use a Hydrochlorhic Acid based toilet bowl cleaner and it works better than anything else that I've found. It's should be available at your local janitorial supply house by the quart. It's strong stuff but works very, very well. I use the one from Holt Paper Company

It's also the choice of watermen in Tangier, Crisfield, Saxis, Smith Island, and Deal Island.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts