Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the water be drained out of the motor after being flushed? If it's empty does that promote rust or does the water staying in the motor keep it from rusting. I usually use salt away everytime I flush my motor. Haven't been able to go out for a month now because working all the time. Just want to make sure new motor isnt sitting idle with rust growing inside her. I know it is anyway but which promotes guicker,in or out?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Flush the motor with salt-away and fresh water after each use and keep the motor in the down position to drain. Don't leave water in the engine, that is the worst thing you can do. Also, water freezes in winter and engine blocks crack.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do boat owners do that keep their boats in the water? Especially raw water cooled engines which mine is. I keep her on a trailer. How do they flush their engine and keep rust out?

·
Registered
390 Posts
What do boat owners do that keep their boats in the water? Especially raw water cooled engines which mine is. I keep her on a trailer. How do they flush their engine and keep rust out?
should be a fitting and a pump to that fitting where you can pressurize the water out with a few pumps blue hand pump front top of motor on ours any how Auto part Electronic device Electronics accessory Metal Font

·
Registered
318 Posts
I assumed OB. Flush with fresh and drain whatever can be drained. People who keep their boats in the water have to live with the increased maintenance costs from corosion.

·
Registered
265 Posts
scruffydog, I had an old 23 classic seacraft for 15yrs and the 5.7 that was in it blew a head gasket & cracked a head not long after I bought it. I replaced it with a new one and got 10yrs and 2400hrs out of the new one which was still running, blowing by a little bit of oil and had lost a bit of power. I was glad I decided to replace that one when I did because after I got it out I found a big chunck of rust on the block and when I knocked it off there was a quarter size hole in the block where a water jacket had rusted through. I replaced that one with another MPI 5.7 and not long after sold the boat and stepped up to a 30ft with twin outboards. I assume your motor is raw water cooled as well. I have asked that same question long ago and got many different opinions. I never used salt away in mine but did always run it on the hose religously after every use. The only time I ever pulled all the plugs and drained the block was in the winter when there was a chance of freezing and every now & then I would pull the block drain plugs while it was running to let water flow out of drain ports to flush out any rust that settles in the bottom of the waterjackets so the drain ports wouldn't get stopped up with rust. I have heard of them getting so stopped up with rust after a few yrs that you can no longer get water to drain out of the block. I work for a shipyard blasting and painting contractor and deal with metal corrosion everyday and my opinion is that either way, leaving it full of fresh water or draining it after every flush isn't gonna make much of a difference in the long run either way as long as you get all the saltwater out that you can. Again, just my opinion and you know what they say about those! Ultimately, metal will always corrode! faster when exposed to saltwater and when not coated with paint, which only prolongs the inevitable. This is why I will always have a job blasting and painting ships! From what i have been told, 10yrs and 2400hrs on a raw water cooled 5.7 is a very good life, espically one that did alot of trolling in the salty gulfstream water! Good luck with yours and I hope you get many yrs of trouble free boating out of it. Just don't forget to change the manifolds and risers every 3-5yrs. That is normally the killer of the raw water cooled IOs, after they rust through the inner core, they let saltwater drain back into cylinders through an open exhaust valve and if you don't catch it in time the rings are rusted to the cylinder walls and she gonna come apart the next time you go to use it, if it will turn over. I had this issue and was lucky enough to catch it when i got home and went to flush, acted like starter was locked up, mechanic buddy asked if it was missing a little when i was running it that day, I said yes, he told me to pull plugs & try to turn it over. I did & sure enough 2 cylinders spewed water. Got it back running and changed oil after each use a few times & she lasted another 2,000hrs. Good luck and hopefully the fish are waiting hungry after this long blow!
Chris

·
Registered
884 Posts
I use salt-off as well to flush my yamaha outboard. I was told by someone who knows a thing or two about engines to turn it over for just a second after flushing to blow the water out of the exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts