Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lug nuts and studs on my boat trailer are rusty making it a pain to remove. Once removed I coated Both with anti- seeze. My question is there something better to use like a anti-rust paint?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I give mine a shot of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, including the spare on the mount, when I check tire pressure.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
I don't know about rusty nuts,but what RJ suggested works great on everything inside the bildge,electronics etc.I used it all the time when I kept my boat in OC.Down there,in 1 week your connections could turn gree with corrosion.This stuff works.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I tried the galvanizing spray and it still rusts after a while as well. After a few years it seems rust happens no matter what.

I think your best bet is just to replace your lug nuts every year or so if it bothers you.

If you can't get them off try one of these puppies. A 25" breaker bar is only 12 bucks at Harbor Freight Tools.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
when you do get them off take a wire brush and clean the threads
coat the threads with a SMALL amount of anti seize compound and they will stay relatively clean of rust.
do not use too much as it may cause the lug nut to loosen over time....this is true whenever you put any lubricant on threads

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
It is a good idea to remove the lug nuts at least once a season and run them back on with some marine grease.Regular grease and saltwater do not mix well.

You can get a better grade of lugs / nuts at Dave's trailer in Glen Burnie.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I try to keep a coating of greese on my studs and normally I get some on the lug nuts as well. I am not concerned with what they look like but I am concered about getting them off. I have one of those cross lug wrenches and I have not had a problem getting one off yet. I also keep a wire brush handy to clean lugs if neccessary and WD-40 or CRC to use as a lubricant. PB Blaster is also excellant as a penetrante and light lubricant. IMO is your goal is to keep your lugs nuts pretty you will need to change them out when they do not meet your appearance test.

Price of gas is down and its time to go fishing -- tight lines.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Grease

Use synthetic grease -- on trailer rollers too. Will not break down around water, doesn't run, stays on for ever. A tube maybe twice as costly, but you only use it once.
budc

·
Registered
229 Posts
Corrosion-X has magical and mystical powers. I frees seized metals and lubricates them by actually soaking into the metal. It works great for cleaning and protecting corroded electrical connections as well. Buy a couple cans on-line and you'll never use WD-40 and the others again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts