Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully everyone wont mind sharing their experiences this year. It's the time of the year we dream all year about!!! I'll get it started...

Saw small bucks chasing does all weekend this past weekend. Hunted in Surry and the Northern Neck. Each place was the same.

·
Registered
459 Posts
On Sat. we were working on a ground blind that the cows had attacked (which is a story in itself) about noon. Several hundred yards across the pasture we are in we see a nice buck jump a fence nose to the ground and zig zag half way across the field. He stops about 150 yds from us, goes in several circles and figures the trail out, off he goes at a trot, head down all the way to the next wood lot. That is the earlier then I have ever seen a mature whitetail cold trailing a doe. Of course that evening was my first evening in a tree I did not see a deer.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Isle Of Wight Va. ....small / youngsters with their noses up the does rearends . Light Sparring ....lots of new scrapes and rubs getting worked regularly. Pics and videos showing larger bucks still together. Another week or 2......Black Powder opens Oct. 31st.....should be AWESOME !

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice!

It'd be cool if everyone let us know what county they are in. I hunted Surry on Monday evening. Had a doe come running in to where I was and go to blowing right at 6:00. Blew for 5 minutes or so. Didn't think I would see one come in that close to the field, but that's the rut for you. No doubt a buck had chased her in there. Noone was hunting within several hundred yards of where she came from. On the way out I came across a spot on the path that absolutely stunk to high [email protected]#$. I guess one had stopped and peed on his haunches on the way out because there wasn't a scrape around.

No hunt till Friday for me

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hunted yesterday afternoon. Saw one 8 pointer that needed another year, a 4 pointer, and 7 does. These does didn't act like they were close to estrous at all. They were simply moving through headed to the oak flats. The 8 pointer didn't travel their exact route, but he was behind them 10 minutes or so and paralleled there route no doubt keeping an eye/nose on them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
St Mary's county, have several nice bucks on the trail cams hanging with the does and eating has dropped way off. Also single/group of bigger doe pics have dropped way off plus majority have been night pics. Plus the bucks are swelling up.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No rut activity on the hunt the last two hunts. Did see an absolute giant of a buck run across the road in Surry yesterday evening on the way home. 150"++

·
Registered
868 Posts
Seen a fair amount of bucks in Caroline County, all just meandering around the woods, no real signs of interest in the does yet, but seeing a few more scrapes so should be getting closer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't been, but am hoping to go for the last day of bow season tomorrow. I have heard of and seen more dead deer over the last few days along the local roads

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mixed results the last two days. In Surry we're still seeing plenty of does with fawns. Very minimal chasing. Small bucks will come to a grunt call like they are on a string. On the Northern Neck it is going pretty strong, but just really getting that way.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I was out on Saturday in northern Virginia and found several scrapes. I should not be long. I plan to try a couple of evenings this week if I can slip out of work early.

Steve

·
Registered
459 Posts
Me and my buddy hunted in Mtg Co yesterday evening. A little warm and very little movement for us, saw 2 yearlings early and a big loan doe just before dark with no one following. My buddy had about the same results, he had a little one around all evening and had a big bodied deer come by at dark. Could not id the deer so it got a pass.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Trophy hunting Deer Jaw Elk Wood Hunted Howard Co. saw 4 bucks chasing one doe around 8 am it was crazy they were running every where then the big one mounted her first time that I have seen that in 40 years of hunting. I was in for the long haul then around 4 pm I see a tree of at a distance shaking and moving I bleated and gave to grunts and the 8pt came straight to me on a dead run now he is in the meat locker. It is heating up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Driving to work in Mtg Co today saw 3 different nice bucks chasing or following does. Vacation starts tomorrow and I am fishing the bay looking for shallow water stripers, weather looks too good to not fish. I will be in a stand the rest of the week thru Veterans day.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Too hot for me to hunt the last few days. I did go to our place on the Northern Neck yesterday to shoot a few times. Saw where it looked like there had been some chasing going on that morning as there were some pretty fresh running tracks scattered across the plot.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Saw tons of rut activity tonight. Bucks grunting and lots of chasing, definitely heating up nicely, now if it would just get colder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts