Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home this evening on 64East, I saw a doe on the side of the road, and button buck jump up and mount her. Seems early to me for the rut? Maybe he was practicing?

What are your thoughts on the RUT in SE VA?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I know it is starting in my neck of the woods.I finished a big nine point Sat his neck was swolen and he reaked.The woods are just eat up with scrapes and rubs.I have never seen them start this early in the swamp.I am hunting in northen Suffolk.A friend of mine saw a buck mount a doe Sat.I dont know if most of the does are in heat but the buck deer are on the prowl.

·
Registered
742 Posts
That cooler than normal weather we had a couple of weeks ago probably threw them off a little bit. I have seen more deer on the move in Southampton county and Isle of Weight in the past week or so.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Definately rutting here. Had one come in grunting last week. Scrapes everywhere. Saw one chase a doe while in the stand saturday. A couple guys I hunt with saw a couple bucks fighting. Its starting to get right. I think I am going to hit it perfect with having the whole last week of october off to bow hunt. Should be perfect especially since some cold air is coming in this weekend and hopefully will stay around. I killed my big deer last year on halloween so hopefully this year will be a repeat.
gotta get out there to get them cause now through mid november is the time
fishrxdr

·
Registered
459 Posts
Happens every year about this time, a little more active this year with the moon and the cool temps. It is about 30 days until the peak, a few always get a little smell about now. I saw 7 bucks hit on the road Sun am driving from Frederick to Rockville, 30 min drive.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't know... our area that we hunt in WV must be retarded, because all of this talk about rutting has me chuckling thinking that you guys are just so anxious to hunt that you're calling any deer movement rut. We never see rut activity until at the earliest of the last weekend in October. The second week into November is usually the peak for us.

Red - Where are you talking about? I270? I drive from WV to Silver Spring everyday and haven't noticed that many extra deer hit than normal. I haven't seen any bucks laying either on that strip of road.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It sure does not happen this time in my neck,I have hunted all my life and dont miss to many days.Same here whwn the leaves begin to change is usally when I start seeing heavy sign but the leaves havent changed and I am seeing heavy sign.May not be every where else bur sure is in suffolk Va although this warm trend this week might slow em down but cold front plus new moon= time to jack up tree!!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nothing going on in Goochland, Bedford, or Bath County VA that I am aware of. My brother and I are out three days a week at least.

·
Registered
125 Posts
went last night again. about 6 oclock, a doe comes out in the field and eventually walks off. about 6 15 a monster 10 pointer comes out on her tracks and runs around pissing on everything smelling with his ol tale up and runs around like a mad man for about 10 minutes on her trail then hits the woods running on her path. I hear him chasing her around the bottom below me all the way until dark. I didnt have my can call cause it is soo early but i did grunt with no response. If I would have had my can I believe he would have come right in to me. I think they are definately rutting here in southside. I am seeimg more rut activity now than I see ever even in mid november
its crazy but true
fishrxdr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me too...

Was hunting on Tuesday night and saw a similar phenomenon as well...an eight pointer sticking hard to a doe with two fawns. I thought we were in pre-rut (Montgomery county) and wouldn't see any bucks working does yet, but this guy was laser-beamed on...and, oh yeah, he didn't give me a shot, unfortunately.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also saw a young buck following close, chasing and sniffing a doe with a fawn in Roanoke County this past Friday morning. Also saw two young 4 pt. bucks locking antlers, with one eventually running off.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I have many times seen young bucks ( yearlings) fooling around with does very early. I think they are just learning what they are what they are feeling. Like a 13yr old boy looking at playboy.

TED

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree we still have 2-3 weeks till the rut is full blown. Though I hunted last night in Church Hill MD and found a bunch of scrapes and rubs. I shot a doe coming out of a corn field. Should have waited another 10 min. because when I did a monster buck maybe 10 yards behind her out of sight in the corn jumped up and ran away. I would start bringing scents and calling.

Fin

·
Registered
365 Posts
With the moon like this we will have some of the older mature does coming into estros this week. Happens every year most just don't know to look for it. The big boys will be doing most of the breeding now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Harvested a nice 8 pointer yesterday in Charles County. He came right in head down to where a buck bomb was set off and his neck was swollen and he smelled like hell.

·
Registered
125 Posts
killed a decent 6 pt this morning with a doe. Been seeing the rutting going on the last week as posted on this topic earlier.
Finally got the arrow in one this morning around 9 am. This cold front coming in will have them going crazy next week. Mornings around 40 degrees every day. Can sit back and wait on the big boy now that I got one down.
Good luck to yall.
fishrxdr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts