Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is a little late, but I got back last Friday from my yearly 5 day hunt for Pheasant in Winner S Dakota.
Saturday started off like last year with me making it to short sleeves, but a little slower on totals birds partital because the large fields and to few blockers and it being late in the season. Sunday start OK, but things went real south by the afternoon. From Sunday until Tuesday morning, I was smack dab in the middle of the worse white out /blizzard i have ever experienced. Worse that when I lived in Steamboat Springs CO. IT sucked, but we did have beer to make it through. 12 ft drifts were common and the wind stayed steady at 50 mph or more. We finally tried to hunt tuesday afternnon, but the drifts killed us and we didn't have snow shoes. Wed was much of the same thing, but more snow. It was sad to see alot of dead birds frozen in the fields and the cover. The local pheasant cleaner said the storm could have a devistating impact on the local population.... I hope not. The paper said it was the worse storm in 25+ years. Driving down I90 towards SiouxFalls it looked like a hurricane had come through. There were down powerlines everywhere and alot of the snapped clean off half way up. Well I hope they all recover out there and hopefully the bird population will rebound . Stay Safe

Jack

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am heading out to Nebraska Pheasant hunting next week for three days. I haven't heard if ther weather did anything to them down there. Hopefully they didn't get hit as bad as up there. Sorry that the trip turned ugly on you.

Ed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ed,

Not to worry.

I talked to Kevin last night and they did get hit with the same storm. He said he was worried that all the birds would be dead. When he finally got out he went down the road 100 yards to the first public CRP and the two of them had their limit in 20 minutes and saw over a hundred birds.

He said they are as think as he has ever seen in all the years out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts