1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MD Man Cited for Illegal Fishing in Kent Island

Posted: Aug 04, 2015 4:44 PM EDT

Updated: Aug 04, 2015 4:44 PM EDT

(Photo: Maryland Natural Resource Police)
(Photo: Maryland Natural Resource Police)

KENT ISLAND, Md. - A Prince George's County man faces illegal fishing charges after he was found fishing near the Kent Narrows Bridge in Queen Anne's County early Saturday morning, according to the Maryland Natural Resource Police.

Resource Police say around 6 a-m Saturday, they found 26-year-old Camilo Arturo Paez Herrera fishing near the bridge. Authorities say another man was also found sleeping in a car. Resource Police say they saw a clear plastic bag on the car floor filled with undersized striped bass and found another bag under the bridge containing more undersized fish, for a total of 32 undersized striped bass.

Herrera admitted to fishing since about 2 a.m., according to police.

Herrera received citations for fishing without a license, exceeding the daily creel limit, possessing undersized striped bass and fishing outside legal hours, police said Tuesday. He will be required to appear in Queen Anne District Court on the three fishing violations. As of Tuesday afternoon, the court date was not set.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Great to see Md DNR police out at all hours protecting the resource.

Hopefully the judge hands down hefty fine - even weekend jail time - as deterrent to other poachers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree what this guy did is terrible and the combined haul of small time poachers is obviously detrimental to the bay. However, this guy is not responsible for the collapse of the rockfish fishery in the bay and Ito insinuate so is ridiculous and misleading. What is destroying the Bay is pollution, omega, gill nets, And massive poaching operations like the one broken up last winter...the Guys had over 19,000 lbs of illegal rock if my memory serves me right...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Great to see Md DNR police out at all hours protecting the resource.

Hopefully the judge hands down hefty fine - even weekend jail time - as deterrent to other poachers.
I bet that is going to work well to deter all those new citizen poachers. Do you think that will be broadcast in the Central and South American msm ? Maybe Md DNR can post the outcome at the boarder.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
That's nothin you should see all of them just on hooper's island takin small illegal fish every day and DNR does nothin. It's probably a hand's off proposition

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I agree what this guy did is terrible and the combined haul of small time poachers is obviously detrimental to the bay. However, this guy is not responsible for the collapse of the rockfish fishery in the bay and Ito insinuate so is ridiculous and misleading. What is destroying the Bay is pollution, omega, gill nets, And massive poaching operations like the one broken up last winter...the Guys had over 19,000 lbs of illegal rock if my memory serves me right...
All those things but this kind of poaching also has an impact I would expect only a small percentage are caught.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If Obama enforced the immigration laws Herrera would have been catching tilapia in his homeland. It's ironic that the DNR is enforcing the laws while the boarder patrol and ICE is told to stand down.

As far as the health of the rockfish fishery the problem exist all up and down the east coast, not limited to MD waters. We've been overharvesting for years, both commercial and recreational, plus the mass poaching that the DNR fails to catch. How many poachers are out there? The fishery commission is failing miserably, we need to give the bay a chance to come back to life..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I fished the bridge for the first time on saturday, is it normal to see a lot of dead fish in the area? All down current from the channel edge from the bridge past mantapeake had dead stripers floating, most over 20"... i counted maybe 30 just trolling up the channel edge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And the one 20" fish I caught under the bridge was hunchback, my first time fishing the bay got me kinda leery about eating anything out of there

·
Registered
319 Posts
If Obama enforced the immigration laws Herrera would have been catching tilapia in his homeland. It's ironic that the DNR is enforcing the laws while the boarder patrol and ICE is told to stand down.

As far as the health of the rockfish fishery the problem exist all up and down the east coast, not limited to MD waters. We've been overharvesting for years, both commercial and recreational, plus the mass poaching that the DNR fails to catch. How many poachers are out there? The fishery commission is failing miserably, we need to give the bay a chance to come back to life..
so since he has a hispanic name, you assume he's illegal? nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I usually fish in DE, 9 out of 10 are illegal...always have PA plates because its easier to register a car in PA being in this country illegally, it's sad to say and im sorry for the small numbers that do it right and are legal.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Evidently he had a bad day on the roads on 7/30/2015 too. Numerous tickets, guess he is an all around bad guy, LOL. But no DNR violations on MD judiciary search. Guess we'll have to give him time to catch up with the other violators the DNR has ticketed. Probably get a slap on the wrist. Or deported?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Evidently he had a bad day on the roads on 7/30/2015 too. Numerous tickets, guess he is an all around bad guy, LOL. But no DNR violations on MD judiciary search. Guess we'll have to give him time to catch up with the other violators the DNR has ticketed. Probably get a slap on the wrist. Or deported?
You would think that before someone goes on the internet attempting to discredit someone they would at least do a tad bit of investigating, not just find someone with the same First and Surnames and ASSUME they are the same person. Different middle names, home address' and DOB. I mean the Surname Herrera is about as common as a name like Smith or Davis in the US.

Just Par for the course here.......

I mean it's not like he was pulling a trailer w/o the required brakes, or riding around with unrestrained youth in a vehicle or something where someone could get hurt or killed.........SMH

·
Registered
147 Posts
You would think that before someone goes on the internet attempting to discredit someone they would at least do a tad bit of investigating, not just find someone with the same First and Surnames and ASSUME they are the same person. Different middle names, home address' and DOB. I mean the Surname Herrera is about as common as a name like Smith or Davis in the US.

I mean it's not like he was pulling a trailer w/o the required brakes, or riding around with unrestrained youth in a vehicle or something where someone could get hurt or killed.........SMH
x2

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I think he will get away with it. Camilo Arturo Paez Herrera has a lot of pull with his friends in DC. He probably won't even have to go to court, or won't show up.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Ding ding ding, look for yourself . name matches(camilo Arturo) age matches too, . X3 , you and mikie make a cute pair, LOL. Par for the course for you to post something not true. Don't know how brakes and child seat even come into this thread, it's about poaching. Same old with you, nothing has changed , what a shame for a guy about to retire and maybe move to Delaware.

Funny how TF gets under your skin, must be terrible to deal with.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts