Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do most people use tie down straps (and what size for a 5,000lb boat (Parker 23SE) - across the gunnel or at the transom? I've read some info about bow chains and turnbuckles/ bolts for added prevention. They would help the boat from moving forward if there is an emergency stop. How are they connected to the trailer? In general, what are the best safe trailering options to secure the boat? Any pics would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have 3 points of attachment on the bow of my 21SE. 1) the winch strap hook. 2) the safety chain hook. and 3) a small turnbuckle attached to the trailer tongue by a chain. I also have a strap which goes across the transom gunwale and hooks to each side of the trailer. My boat, trailer and motor weighs a little over 4000 lbs.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
TF-

I like a turnbuckle to keep the boat from sliding up and over the front roller in an emergency stop. In the 70" I had a 19' Mako Classic and was fishing the upper bay bridge. Also had a full sized Dodge van for towing. Had to make an emergency stop. I felt something shift and pulled over to check things out. The boat had shifted up and over the front roller and was only a few inches from the back doors on the van. Ever since then I have used a turnbuckle slanted slightly back to prevent that from happening. Forget aluminum turnbuckles. The threads strip out of those.

I will go out and take a pic of it.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Had a local metal shop cut and form a 1/4" thick rectangular SS plate to fit on tongue. Drilled the holes to line up with one of the U bolt hole spacing. The angle is about 60 degrees. The turnbuckle is galvanized cast iron and threaded eyes are galvanized steel. It holds the bow down to prevent it from climbing up the winch stand. I have used this system on boats since 1970 but never had to make another panic stop to test it out.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I use a heavy duty turn buckle as well.I like it because I can let an inch of slack off the electric winch.I once bent a shaft on a winch from a hard hit on a pothole.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. Wild Bill and Skip, what loading capacity (size) are the turnbuckles (are they Lb rated?)? I bought a 27' 2" 10,000 lb racket strap to go over the boat (across the gunnels) and to attach to the trailer. I'm assuming that is more than enough to keep the boat secure. If I go with the chain to turnbuckle option for now (I like WB's option for the future - thanks for the pics), what size chain should I buy? I seem to "over kill" most things, so be kind.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
TF-

I use a heavy duty ratchet strap also. Make sure to pad the contact points on your hull or it will wear off the gel coat in a year. I used to stuff towels under the strap but got tired of that. I had an upholstery shop create a sleeve out of lamb’s wool to slide over the strap. I marked the best location and had them stitch the sleeves to the strap. Right at the point where the strap hits the bottom of the boat sides there is still some wear but it has not worn though the gel coat. A buddy uses a ratchet strap and wore big groves in his fiberglass in one year.

I had my strap modified so that the ratchet was close to one side. I can tighten or loosen it without getting in the boat. I can also hook the short end and let the heavy ratchet hang down without hitting anything while I walk the rest of the strap around the back of the motor to the other side. After 50 years of jumping in and out of boats on land, you try to minimize the need to do it.;-)

As for the rating of the TB, I do not remember. I just purchased the biggest one that I could fit in the space. I stripped the threads of two aluminum TBs before moving to the cast iron one. They also make them in SS but they are very expensive. Simon asked for a SS one at a Boater's World and the guy said they no longer carried them but had one in the back. It was huge and over $200. Simon said that since you no longer carry them would you take less. He sold it for $25. to get rid of it, but that was a one time deal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i use 2 of the 10,000lb winch straps , 1 at the bow eye in addition to the safety chain and trailer winch and then one across the back of the boat attached to the trailer frame, may boat is a 29' cruiser and weighs in around 9,000lbs.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like I'm doing the right thing. Thanks again for the help. BTW - I just bought a 2 1/2 ton floor jack to help change my trailer tires in case of a flat. Using the floor jack had been recommended by others instead of the "1/2" rounds or other means. I was told to add a few 2X4s if I needed to raise the trailer off of the ground more than what the floor jack could do by itself. For $15 ($30-$15 for signing up for a Sears Card), it sounded to good to turn down. Is a floor jack a good way to go?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I think an aluminum floor jack is a great way to go! I almost bought one at Sears; should have. I've jacked up my tandem axle EZ Loader trailer with my boat on it using a pretty good heavy duty jack but not a floor jack and it wasn't that easy and it took some time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great idea for an extra hook on the bow ! Where is a good source for those heavy duty straps to cross the boat ? Do you all use heavy transom straps as well.Very helpful thread -thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have seen a rig that attaches to the trailer tongue and the bow eye and an angle to prevent the boat from moving forward in the event of a collision or sudden stop. I have seen chain and turnbuckles used for this rig
This prevents the boat from breaking off the winch post and entering the bed of the truck
Uncle Bob

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Time - The bow eye in your rig is strong, but it's smart to spread the load a little bit. I use the bow eye chain, but also use my bow line to tie from each cleat down to the trailer frame.

My Dad told me once to reverse my thinking on trailering. You're not towing a trailer, you're towing a 4000 pound boat with a 1000 pound trailer tied to it.

Using that perspective, you can think of ways to better control the mass in the event of a collision.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the extra tips. BTW - the straps I bought were from Home Depot - 10,000lbs. As Wild Bill said, I need to get some pads, so they don't cut into the gel coat. I guess the bottom line is that more is better when it comes to securing a "4,000" load.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
ON the strap, be sure to put a half twist in each span to eliminate the "buzz" as the strap cuts through the wind. A flat strap wears out quickly (and it makes a racket)

·
Registered
142 Posts
The turnbuckle is great. I've used one for years. Not only for safety but it takes alot of the bounce out of the front of the trailer by keeping the boat firmly in the winch rollers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts