Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an incident today . I have a 50 Yamaha and a 4 hp merc get home kicker on my boat . Went to run the 4 today and it wouldn't start . Found out that the plastic clip on the safety button was missing . So I took the one off the Yamaha and put it on the 4 assuming that they were the same . Still wouldn't start . Played around with the button and found that when I locked it all the way out with vice grips the motor started in one pull .

I called Riverside Marine and they told me that these clips may look the same but they aren't always . Different makes of motors and even different Mercs have different clips .
I had to give him the mercs model # to order the right clip . I'm not sure what the old clip looked like but the one from Yamaha clipped right on but it didn't hold the button out far enough . You would think that something like that would be universal . Just another way to get our money . The new clip is $12 .

Bottom line , if you ever lose the clip make sure you get the same type or you'll be taking your motor to the shop for nothing .

And just a reminder that most of you probably already know but some might not . If you turn that key and she cranks and cranks and won't start make sure that clips not off .

Also a friend of mine had his 150 yamaha shut down on him yesterday and it wouldn't restart . Turned out it was as simple as the gas squeeze ball was bad . Lucky him

Tony

·
Registered
14,246 Posts
If a motor won't start it is not getting gas or spark. That shut off switch can go bad internally also. If it does you can direct wire it together. Most times the problem is simple but finding the problem could be tough...........Gary

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Ha Two years ago I put the kicker on to get in on some flounder action. Got to the spot, and set down the kicker. Pulled and pulled and pulled and it would not start. Had to power drift with the big motor.

Realized when I got home the kill switch pulled out. DOH!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
WallyMart had a kit that has a lanyard and several different clips of sizes and styles. Probably meant to be a universal replacement package. There must have been ten clips in there. I don't recall how much it was but it was probably cheaper than $12.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Last year I pulled out from the dock and my motor shut down 20 feet from the dock. The Gas squeeze ball had started to deteriorate. It clogged the fuel filter and shut down the engine.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you ever get in a bind where you break or loose a clip try this.

Use a piece of wire 12 ga or so and wrap it around the emergency shut off knob in the little channel where the clip should go. You can then make a few twists in the wire to tighten it up enough to allow the engine to run.... Simple and effective.

I do not promote using this for a "Fix", but it will do the trick to get you home. If you are force to use this method, be sure to properly repair the system (get a new clip) as soon as possible....

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
If you ever get in a bind where you break or loose a clip try this.

Use a piece of wire 12 ga or so and wrap it around the emergency shut off knob in the little channel where the clip should go. You can then make a few twists in the wire to tighten it up enough to allow the engine to run.... Simple and effective.
A heavy duty nylon zip tie will work in a pinch as well. ;-)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Some manufactuers (Johnson) puts an extra clip on the tiller handle in case you lose the main one. Don't ask how I know this. HA!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts