Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tell me your rough water experience. My worst one was when I had a grandson with me and got caught in the gap between two big bodies of water. Swells were awful.

·
Registered
13,933 Posts
I have NEVER gone out in rough weather but got caught in it once 12 miles west of Pt. Lookout. This was 28 years ago but now that I have radar weather on my phone, it will not happen again. There is not a fish out there worth dying for....................Gary

·
Registered
601 Posts
Got caught in a thunderstorm coming from Kent Narrows to the Magothy a few years ago this time of the year.Friends insisted they had to get home and the storm was south of the bridge.Storm caught us by Love Point and when I knew it was moving to fast to run for safety brought the boat inside the bar at Love Pt and pointed it into the wind.Put the ladies and kids down below (small cruiser) and it took full throttle on a 300 HP inboard for 15 mins to hold the boat into the wind.Waves poured over the bow and if we went sideways to the seas would have flipped for sure.Visibility was probably 10 ft and the boats location was unsure.I have never tried to outrun a summer thunderstorm since then.Should have waited at Harris's and had another coke.This is when I discovered you can never have to much HP on a boat even if you only need it for emergencies.I also figured out that the captain is in charge during emergencies and safety is not a group decision.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Went out with my son spring fishing one year and the wind was really blowing. Seas were running 2-3's which is rough, but not dangerous in our boat. we finally decided it was too rough to fish about the same time the current started running against the wind and man did those wave stand up. They were twice as big as when we went out and the worste part was the frequency. There was no space between them at all. We'd come down off one right into another one. My son was white as a ghost as we'd watch the bow go down into a wave a wait for it to come back up through green water. Real Fun! after that expereince, reading about timing the running of inlets on the ocean makes real sense.

DBM

DBM

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, we will be on the ocean this winter.

I'll keep that in mind.

Went out with my son spring fishing one year and the wind was really blowing. Seas were running 2-3's which is rough, but not dangerous in our boat. we finally decided it was too rough to fish about the same time the current started running against the wind and man did those wave stand up. They were twice as big as when we went out and the worste part was the frequency. There was no space between them at all. We'd come down off one right into another one. My son was white as a ghost as we'd watch the bow go down into a wave a wait for it to come back up through green water. Real Fun! after that expereince, reading about timing the running of inlets on the ocean makes real sense.

DBM

DBM

·
Registered
868 Posts
We got caught in a t-storm and there were 10 to 12 ft waves and we were in our Ricky scarborough custom offshore express boat so we did pretty well in the waves but it was a little dicey out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bad deal when it gets rough and the current is runnin. My son in law got into that a month ago and headed for safe harbor to sit it out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Worst water Ive seen was a few years ago. Went down to Solomon's for the weekend, beautiful weather on the way down. Storm came in Sunday and we needed to get back home. Another guy and I were in a 47' fountain with triple 496HO engines. Left Solomons on our way back to Deale, winds were out of the NE at 35mph with seas going against the tide. As soon as we got around the point at Solomons I knew we made a mistake....but then the fog rolled in. IDK if any of you have been out on the bay with winds 35from the NE and rain/fog conditions, but its dangerous to say the least. We had no GPS, and lost sight of land almost immediately - Just continued heading north. Waves were breaking before they hit the boat and water was blasting us in the face... MAX speed was maybe 9-10mph. (please note this is a 70+mph boat). Anchor hatch ripped off, all cabinets fell down in cabin, center motor shutdown b/c of the constant slamming. I seriously thought if we lost another motor this boat is going to sink b/c of all the water we were taking on. Freezing cold, scared and just wanted to make it back to shore - We were at the point of no return. I was navigating and my buddy was driving.... I grabbed a bottle of whiskey and threw back a couple swigs, figured if I was gonna die on the bay might as well get one last drink. Three hours later pulled into herring bay, never thought Id be glad to see 2foot waves, but after 3 hours of 6-7 foot swells it felt great. Made it back to port with some minor bumps and bruises but the experience left us with a humbling reminder how quickly things can change for the worst. NE WINDS = NOT GOOD

·
Registered
885 Posts
When the waves are breaking onto the windshield, it's time to go in, hopefully before a windshield pane gets busted out.
Two worst weather experiences for me were thunderstorms. One at CBBT on a stout charter boat- life raft was ripped from roof, huge igloo cooler was picked up and thrown overboard, cabin windows buckling enough under pressure from wind that rain was coming through them. The bad part probably didn't last 10 minutes, but the wind was amazing.
Similar storm maybe 15 years ago on 33' flybridge boat. Tons of lightning, for some reason GPS unit would't work in heat of storm. Wind strong enough that boat was being pushed sideways more than it was making headway. Couldn't believe the canvas enclosure on the flybridge held on. Extremely loud wind noise. This was the same storm where lightning killed someone at the Tibet Freedom Festival at RFK.
Been in a fair number of thunderstorms, and more days than I could count where we just had to take it easy and plow home at 7-10 knots to keep from breaking windows or something else. Those are the two memorable storms I hope to never repeat. Waves not significant in either - wind blew the water flat in a quick duration event. But the wind noise was unbelievable, and in one the lightning really wild as well.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You can brag all you want about your production boats, but you haven't experienced the best ride until you have a custom Carolina.:thumbup:

·
Registered
884 Posts
One of the most dangerous place in the world for a boat....

This one is a video of the coastguard doing a training exercise. As much as I love to be on the water, I'm glad I went to the Air Force.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Horkfest '06. Lost a windshield pane and most of the electronics making it back to St. Jeromes Creek, Point Lookout weather station reported peak gusts over 50 mph, sustained close to that. Exciting.
Pat in Joppa

1 - 20 of 25 Posts