Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Saturday and Sunday tog fishing with my wife and friend. We were right on top of the tunnel when we noticed this sailboat coming straight toward us,then it turned right and went straight beside the rocks and toward the pier. Didn't see anyone at the helm. Could hear people yelling at the captain to wake up with no response back. Then there was a loud crash and I see the mast break in two. We pulled anchor rode around to check it out. The sailboat was pinned against the rocks and pier.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
That may explain why a lot of sailboats running aground.

Funny to see the before and after photos, but at the same time that is really dangerous.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what we could see there was a older gentlemen at the helm after the crash. The people on the pier (first island) were yelling at the captain to wake up with no response back. What we saw was the mast hit the pier and break in half and heard a loud boom. We rode over to the boat and the captain looked shook up and half awake. The cbbt police told us to stay away because of the rocks. Eventually (30mins) the Virginia Beach police boat showed up with a coast guard boat. The coast guard boat towed him out to open water and just sat there. I guess they were waiting for a bigger towing vessel. I believe the captain of the sailboat must have had autopilot ingaged,because of the way the sailboat verred away from us and the rocks. We saw no one at the helm till after it hit the pier. Before that happened we almost got swampped by a cargo ship hauling ass over the tunnel creating 8ft wake behind the ship.Scared the hell out of us. Had to drag lines and anchor to avoid being washed over by his wake. People really need to wake up and realize their surroundings,it's dangerous enough without having dumbasses adding to it. What a day!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And by the way,we caught a puppy drum,black bass,many oyster toads. We were dropping clam meat and frozen fiddlers down side the pilings at the 2nd,3rd,4th. Not one tog. We did see one asian guy catch one.Couldn't find any live fiddlers anywhere. Don't really care,love being out on the water in my boat with the dog and my girl. Waiting for the Temps to drop so the big stripes will come in. Unless omega catches them first.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Thanks Scruffydog. I agree any day is good on water and catching fish just adds bonus points!
The tubes are diffidently a place to stay alert and head on swivel.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
From what we could see there was a older gentlemen at the helm after the crash. The people on the pier (first island) were yelling at the captain to wake up with no response back. What we saw was the mast hit the pier and break in half and heard a loud boom. We rode over to the boat and the captain looked shook up and half awake. The cbbt police told us to stay away because of the rocks. Eventually (30mins) the Virginia Beach police boat showed up with a coast guard boat. The coast guard boat towed him out to open water and just sat there. I guess they were waiting for a bigger towing vessel. I believe the captain of the sailboat must have had autopilot ingaged,because of the way the sailboat verred away from us and the rocks. We saw no one at the helm till after it hit the pier. Before that happened we almost got swampped by a cargo ship hauling ass over the tunnel creating 8ft wake behind the ship.Scared the hell out of us. Had to drag lines and anchor to avoid being washed over by his wake. People really need to wake up and realize their surroundings,it's dangerous enough without having dumbasses adding to it. What a day!
With striper season coming and if the fish are there, everyone needs to keep in mind there are approved alternate ship channels outside of the CBBT to Cape Henry. So if you are outside of the markers you are not safe from container ship traffic because hey don't always let you know they are heading your way outside of the markers. That is personal experience more than once.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
236 Posts
Useful fishing information

Thank you for pointing out the fact that there was an "Asian" catching fish. I'm sure they have techniques that are a complete mystery to us Caucasians.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Thank you for pointing out the fact that there was an "Asian" catching fish. I'm sure they have techniques that are a complete mystery to us Caucasians.
"We did see one asian guy catch one."

Wow, we do get grumpy when fishing slows.. I may be wrong but--- I think he was just pointing out a general difference he observed. Not that Asian guys are better fishermen.
Some people want cops to stop saying "Black" male approximately 16-20 yr old in a "hooded sweatshirt", when reporting to be on lookout that someone that committed a crime. ( like its really racist thing!)
If he had said a guy with "red hat" caught a fish , would that have been bad also?

I didn't catch any fish today either..

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Glad to hear he is okay, but it raises a question. If a power boater hits a marker, pier, bridge support that they are supposed to report it and often get ticketed. Does anyone know if he was or not.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just noticed this post the other day so here are some details. I pulled the sailboat off the rocks and held it for about an hour until USCG boarded and took over..it went like this: Tog fishing at 2nd island and I heard on the radio "Any of you fisherman on the radio I am up against the rocks". Not a textbook distress call but it got my attention so I look a the 1st island thru my binoculars and could see the sailboat against the rocks by the pier. Decided to pull up anchor and run over there to see if we could help. No other boats rendering assistance when we got there just plenty of spectators on the pier and authorities on the island as close as they could get in the parking lot including a fire truck that just arrived. I circled close to survey the situation and no one flagged us off - the poor capt on the sailboat clearly wanted help, port side against the rocks with his bow under the pier with the mast up to the pier. Backed up close enough so my partner could throw him a line which he nailed on the first try. He made fast to his stern cleat and I made fast to mine, stretched out the 100' rope, took up the slack and applied even increasing throttle until we started to pull away. We had no angle to access his bow since it was under the pier so I towed him backwards (from his stern) with his sail up pulling against me. Made steady progress pulling him clear of the pier and rocks. He could not drop his sail as the rigging was jammed above the break, and he also could not drop his anchor (I believe his electric winch would not operate). We got about 500 yards off the island and held position. Almost at the same time a VB Police boat, Fire and Rescue boat and USCG boat arrived. Eventually the USCG boarded and got his anchor down, at which point they turned us loose and we were on our way. Id say we had him for about an hour overall. Have no idea how he got in that situation as we never had a conversation. I have a 23' with twin 115s and we were able to tow this 30-35' sailboat backwards with his sail up against the wind - which was only blowing about 5-10 so that was a break - until the pros showed up and took over. Fortunately we didn't break anything and all went well. We got one keeper tog before the rescue.
Jim K. with Wayne on the Jesse K.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
It was certainly not the Coast Guard who pulled him off the rocks. I was on board with Jim when this all went down. A little sketchy given that he could not pull the sail down, it filled with wind and kept pushing him against the rocks and made it tough to tow and hold even when we got to more open water.
Besides the "excitement" of the rescue, what was a little disturbing about this is that there were many other boats closer to him when the call went out (and unless you are blind most surely saw, with a broken mast and being pushed on to the rocks) that he was a boater in trouble and not a single boat was rendering any type of assistance. We saw this all the way from the second island (where we were tog fishing..caught one nice one and I'm not Asian ;), had time to check it out via binoculars, un-anchored, and motored all the way over, and then rendered assistance. If the rules of the water did not kick in, at least some common courtesy to help a boater in distress seemed to be warranted. I'm not saying we did anything heroic, but if it was you in that boat or your wife or kids were in it, I'm sure you'd want someone doing whatever they could to help. Sad that with the number of boats around, no one lifted a finger.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I do apologize if I offended anyone by my post. I'm just sharing my experience that day on the water. The sailboat came within 30ft of my boat before it veered away. No one at the helm. I was the first boat at the scene. I was waved away by a police man standing on the pier. By my best visual I could see the captain wasn't bailing water,he wasn't waving us down. He did looked stressed..
I'm not what you call a veteran on the water,my 3rd year on the water. As close as he was to the rocks,I was a little concerned about putting him in more danger than he was already in and myself. Never towed a boat from a situation such as that. Open water towing is a little different. I applaud the captain that went in and had the experience to help this guy out.
My Asian commit,hey I saw plenty of Caucasians not catching anything. The gentleman that I saw,100-150 yards away,looked of the Asian race. Either way he's the only person I saw catching one. So yeah maybe he does know a better way than you Caucasians. Oh yeah,I'm Cherokee.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts