Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the area. Have a canoe. Is it worthwhile C&R fishing in any ponds in the area? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fish the rivers instead. The Wicomico in Salisbury town is alive with crappie and bass all year. Concentrate on marinas, use jigs and curl tail or ribbon tail gbrubs. Crankbaits work well until it gets below 39 degrees or so. Balsa deep divers fished slow work best. River fish concentrate near deep water that rises and falls, versus strong tidal areas. That means deepest area near headwater. Be a good canoeist before venturing into cold water. You won't last 5 minutes if you go overboard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I fished Leonard Mill Pond years ago and there is also Johnson Pond in or near Salisbury. You're not far from Snow Hill and the upper Pocomoke which is a beautiful scenic river as well as a productive fishery. You're certainly not far from Ocean City and Assateague Island where you could fish the saltwater without a canoe.

There are lots of eastern shore rivers and ponds to fish. Get a map do a little research and you'll be busy for years.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
There's a magazine published once a year called "Fishing in Maryland". My most recent issue is for 2000, so don't know if its still published. Anyway, there is a page dedicated to showing all the ponds on the Eastern Shore where public fishing is permitted. The 2009 edition should be available in January at your local fishing shop. Check around and check it out.

Many years ago I use to launch my canoe and fish just below Johnson's Pond in Salisbury. Use to do good with pickerel, bass & crappies. Don't know if you can still get in there, but it would at least be worth a look-see.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well you guys talked me into it. I'me heading to Johnson's Pond tomorrow for a little cold water fishing. Looking for bass, pickerel and might spend some time crappie fishing.

Any last minute tips? ;-)

·
Registered
227 Posts
So before the cold and wind managed to pit an end to the fishing, and help start our afternoon at Brew River I managed to land one Pickerel on Johnsons Pond. I didn't measure him, but he weighed 3 pounds, 5 ounces. Nice looking fish.

My buddy fished below the pond and landed two fair sized Crappie and a 20" Striper.

So yeah, I'd say fishing in the spill there is pretty good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Once again let me reiterate, the tidal waters warm up much faster than ponds. I don't know why but they do. On the 16th of Feb we fished a river on the E shore and the water temp was 46 degrees, checked on two separate new fish finders. We caught 1 crappie, 1 bluegill,1 yellow perch, 5 pickerel and 26 bass on crankbaits, because the wind was 20 to 30 mph. Forget them ponds, fish the Wicomico near the launch ramps in town. Of course, if you like to fish, concentrate on the ponds. If you like to catch, get on the river.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
A real nice lake is Smithville off of Rt 404 east of Denton. It's on Noble Rd which is the last road before the Delaware state line. It is an excellent canoe and kayak lake. Has crappie, bluegill, bass and pickerel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My acquaintance caught a 9 pound 1 ounce bass there at Smithville two years ago. It also has the largest pickerel I've seen on the shore. I believe it is a dammed portion of Marshyhope Creek which, in Federalsburg, holds zillions of fish this time of year.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I caught the largest pickerel I have ever seen in that lake many, many years ago. I released it. Hope to get there in a few weeks. Haven't fished it for over 20 years. Just thought I'd get back into some sweetwater angling again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts