Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got permission to launch the yak today on private property by the CP Crane Powerplant and really had no idea what to expect, but was prepared to catch whatever would give me the chance.
I arrived to my private beach at 6:45 am for a beautiful sunrise but an ugly temperature of 21. Based on weather.com last night it was supposed to be 30 in the morning.

Another shot of the sunrise.

I paddled over to my first spot and had no luck there so I decided to paddle over closer to the wire line and try my luck there. Well it didn't take long and I had my first fish of the year and as far as first fish of the year this is probably my best ever. 26" Striper.

So I stuck around the same spot and managed to pick up another one in short order at 23" and fat.

After the second Striper I got my lure stuck and kind of used my paddle to get it lose. This may have blown up the spot for me doh, but I was pretty happy with what I had accomplished up to this point.

So I moved on and tried spot number three for the day and quickly hooked up on another purdy Striper. This one was 21 inches but he probably put up the biggest fight with several jumps and good runs so I was pretty fired up by the time I landed it.

I fished another hour but couldn't manage to find anymore on the end of my line. The wind really started to whip up around 11, so I decided to call it a day. Luckily, it was only a short paddle back as it was directly into the wind.

Headed to Susky tomorrow to try for the other favorite striped fish of the bay...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
WTG! That used to be a favorite spot until access was shut down 5-6 years ago. Kudos to you for getting access. That place has to be THE best spot for winter time bass. Rattletraps were standard there until 1999/2000. Then 3" sluggos on 1/32 oz jigheads, 6lb line and light action rod was I used to catch 10" to 5lb bass, yellow perch, catfish and maybe even a rock or 2. Congats again, I'd keep trying that spot since the pressure has been off for the past 5-6 years.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
You had a lucky day.The stripers there are here one minute or today and gone the next with no regularity.Back in the early 70s,A friend of mine and myself were fishing way up in the shoot from shore for Stripers in feb.There was an old man catching them right & left in the shoot.We decided to help the ole guy net the fish,take them off the line and keep our lines out of the water while he was fighting his fish.After several fish,the school vanished and it was starting to snow.We helped the guy carry his lawn chair,fish & fishing gear back to his car.We bid goodbye to him and he gave us a few of his homade lures that he used to catch everything from perch,bass,pike,walleye & crappie in tidal water & up Loch Raven.The next day,in the sports section of the Sunpaper,written by Bill Burton was the story of 'Ed Fenton" (a regular fisherman who gave fishing reports of Loch raven)told the story about how he caught all these Stripers at the power plant.He also mentioned how these 2 young men couldn't catch any and left before the snow came down too hard and it got too cold for them while he toughed it out in the cold & snow and caught a bunch of Stripers alone at the power plant.We both laughed at the story and I'll never forget it.BTW his secret lure was a shad dart,red head & white hair w/bull minnow attached.It was called the"Fenton Fly"

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Another story of that area /era dug deep from the vault.Back then(60s/70s),Dundee Creek marina was open 12 months a year and rented boats.A friend of mine went fishing in feb.He couldn't get his outboard motor started and started to drift accross the creek.All of a sudden,in the middle of the creek,school Stripers started to swirl & break at bait fish.He started casting a blue broken back rebel and landed about a half dozen Stripers before the school left.He paddled back to the ramp and called it a day.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great stories. My Uncle and Dad grew up fishing the area and used to tell me stories about all the bluefish they would catch around there and big ones two. They would use plugs made out of broom handles. That doesnt really even seem possible anymore. I wish I could take my kayak all the way up in the discharge shoot, that would be awesome. Does anyone know if its good on the Seneca side of the wall from the discharge shoot. Does the discharge warm this area as much as the Salt peter.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
The water on the Seneca side isn't warm.There are a few holes in the wall though where some warm water might seep through.The only way I know how to fish the shoot is off a step ladder on your boat and fish over the wall from the Seneca side.That won't help you in a kayak..About the Bluefish yeas ago.A friend of mine once caught a 14# blue off Pool's Island.1987 was the best ever year .You could catch lots of 6-9# blues off love Point all summer from june-sept. trolling just about anything that had a hook on it.The most unbelievable bluefish story I have about the upper bay happenned in the late 60s.A friend of mine and myself went to what's now called Bluefins in Edgemere to get some bait,then rent a boat from Bill's on miller's Island to fish for rock in late April/early May.There were these 2 men in the shop that told us about the Big Blues they were catching off Ft. Howard trolling.They told us for $5 each.,they'd take us out and promise big blues.We took them up on the offer.They took our money,bought a case of beer and off we went to their boat at Mcclusky's marina.We trolled for about an hour off Ft.Howard without a pull.We just sat and watched them drink beer from 6-7am.Then,the rods started to sing and sure enough we boated 3 or 4 blues around 8- 10#.After that,they quit biting and we went in.I never tried or heard of anyone catching big blues that early again that far up the Bay.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
I forgot to mention that we used to catch 3-6 # blues plugging off Carroll Island in September in the 70s.
fish like that have been gone up here since 87.It doesn't look like they'll return?They were my favorite because they fought harder than a striper and they jumped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts