Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow fisher people. Looking to get back into fishing and looking for a decent spinning rod n reel along with recommended type of line and breaking strength. Looking for something that is suitable for the Chesapeake but can also handle bigger fish without having to worry about whether the gear is up to the job. Also a basic gear checklist would help too for tools and such. Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Probably need more specifics about 'bigger' fish. There are big fish in the Chesapeake, not that I've caught any lately. Not gonna find one rod that is suitable for everything in the bay much less bigger stuff than the bay. That said, 10 lb braid with 20 lb fluorocarbon leader on a medium fast rod can catch a lot of stuff. As for gear thats a big category. Most important gear is $$$. Hiring a guide will cut your learning curve faster than anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
depends on your budget.

6'6" to 8' st. croix rod (triumph series on the low end; mojo series is midgrade; legend series on the high end) paired with a penn spinfisher (3500 class) is a solid setup.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
depends on your budget.

6'6" to 8' st. croix rod (triumph series on the low end; mojo series is midgrade; legend series on the high end) paired with a penn spinfisher (3500 class) is a solid setup.
Yep and thats all you need in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a 6'6" and 7' st. st.croix avid rods paired with Shimano sienna 2500 and 4000 series reels. I use 20 and 25lb braid and have landed many stripers over 28". Last year I landed one that was 34". The 6''6" rod is a good all purpose setup.

Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
Will you be fishing from shore, a boat or a pier? This makes a difference on what type of gear is best. I was fishing off a pier 2 weeks ago with a 6'6" rod and a 10' one. All my fish were on the 10'. Why? Because I could chuck my bait almost 50% further from shore to where the fish happened to be. A 10' rod on a boat would be comically pointless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
7' St Croix "Tide Master" MHF with a 4000 or 5000 Shimano Stradic Reel with 15lb Fireline. I have landed Rockfish over 40" without any problems. "Great for Top Water"

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Indestructible combo that has live lined, bank fished and casted to and landed hammer cobia: Ugly Stick Tiger w/ a Shimano Baitrunner loaded with as heavy braid as she'll carry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My two cents. I wanted to just say that there is an all around rod and reel setup you can purchase to handle everything in the bay. But it looks like folks beat me to it. And I agree there is no good reason to have a 10' rod on a boat. Unless you have it on a T Top Rocket Launcher Trolling to keep that bait away from your close up spread. But why when a shorter rod will do? If that's all ya got use it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That said, 10 lb braid with 20 lb fluorocarbon leader on a medium fast rod can catch a lot of stuff.
Your leader line should be at less breaking strength than your main line when you are using braided line. unless you are surf fishing with heavy sinkers or when you are fishing near hard structure like rocks and bridges.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
The best reel for the money on the market right now is the Shimano Spheros SW. I like the 3000 series. It is a true saltwater reel, super smooth, carbon drag, and stiff metal frame for around $120. For a rod, I like a 6'6" M XF rod. I like the Shimano Talavera Inshore or St. Croix Bass X. Both are around $100. For line, I spool with either 10lb or 15 power pro and use 25lb mono or flouro leader. (the light power pro goes through the water better with less drag allowing you to use the lightest jigs possible and the leader prevents abrasion). We have landed plenty of over 40" rockfish to over 50" on these combos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts