Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 9:45 am - hoping to get some fish before predicted storms rolled in.
Found Spot out in 17 feet - kiss deeper than they have been. With water temps going up - I thought they would be shallower.

Slow pick at them - likely due to a weak outgoing. Pesky S to SE breeze had boat swinging on anchor - even with a very short rode.

Counted each Spot and had a dozen - put one extra in just to be safe. Hooked two rays - luckily the light #4 hook bent open before I lost bottom rig or a lot of braided line.

With Spot in live well - ran out to 35 feet. Took some looking to find a few on a hump but set up and put two rods over - 1/4 and 1/2 ounce weights. Fished a third rod by hand. The deeper rod got hit and reeled in a just under 19. Circle hook had it it top of jaw - easy release. Next two Rock missed getting hooked - I'm thinking shorts. Got a solid hit on the rod I was holding and reeled in a 21 incher. Did not temp fate as it was slowly getting darker with clouds to west.

Ran to bridge to try for Perch with cut Spot strips. Had a slow bite but most were 9 to 10 inchers. The 9's went back - 10's in cooler. It was odd - suddenly it was very quiet under the bridge. No loud cars / motorcycles , loud dump truck exhaust brakes. Nothing. I looked up and saw no traffic on west bound. Soon saw all type of emergency vehicles and then the TV news helicopters.

Bad wreck had shut down bridge. The slow current stopped so I put away my landing net getting ready to run back to ramp. Come up from cabin and see rod bowing - figured a Ray. This felt different - soon had a nice 4 lb Channel cat to surface. Put rod in holder and got net back out - scooping up a nice bonus fish.

Ran back as clouds were building - stopping to help older couple get boat on trailer. Guy was 80 - give him credit hanging out in the heat.

Got home and just had boat washed when rain hit. Put boat in garage and cleaned fish as storm pounded the area. Glad I did not try to fish any longer.

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Knotworkin - Yes , built the garage just for the boat.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Think theres a joke in that somewhere Skip....fishing boat is parked in climate controlled blding and wife is parked out in the rain.

To be clear, I personally dont think that would be funny or so my wife tells me.

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might be a red neck if your boat is in garage but your truck sits out.

I did build an attached car port for the wife's car. This keeps driveway clear to hook up the trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts