Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched from Sandy Point at 7 am with friends Gary and Doug. Saw tide was low - odd since predicted to be just beginning of out going current . Bay was flat and idled out to look for Spot. Found a few in 11 feet - along with a surprise Sand Perch.

May be an image of food

Small Croakers were mixed in as well. Most of Spot were small , a few 6 inchers and two 8 inchers. With not much current - debated where to go. Log book told me last year same day got a 31 incher off Magothy so decided to make run north.

Got to area I like and saw a few Rock in 25 feet tight to some structure. Anchored up and sent Spot over. Solid hit but no hook up. Doug got one but it was very skinny and missing an eye - sad to see. Let it go.

Had a few Spot pulled off the circle hooks and then had a solid hit. Fish was hooked and really pulling - to point took some line off my drag. Now I fish my drags way past tight - this was a good fish. Most times takes one over 33 inches to pull line.

Gary reeled other lines in and Doug had net ready. With braid you can feel everything - I felt line touching the structure. Took gamble and moved rod to my right - figuring fish was going up current. My hope was to hop line out - but no luck and braid was cut at swivel. Sucked but nothing I could do but cuss. For ten minutes - lol.

We had few other taps but then what little current there was died so ran back south to get few more Spot. Slight breeze helped with the heat. We got more Spot than hit bridge pilings as current was starting to move incoming. Nice shade line at bridge , moving current , and fresh Spot.

Three Rock came in fast but had to measure them - 19 to 20 inchers with few 18 tossed back. The 5/0 circles did good job lip hooking.

With our limit in cooler - tried for Perch with cut spot stripes. Got a few but moved around a lot. Wind was east / north east and shifty - made getting boat in position tricky. We fished until about 1:00 then ran back in to Sandy Point. Cleaned the Rock for Doug - he has happy with nice fresh fillets.

AC in truck felt good on drive home. I was still cussing losing that nice Rock.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Skip,
Nice picture and ID on that sand perch. Almost looks like a YOY weakfish without the spots. Maybe sand perch are members of the drum family.

sorry you lost that strong fish. Those are the ones you remember most…. At least I do.
ACG

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,061 Posts
They didn't want anything I threw at them yesterday, maybe next weekend.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Nice report Skip, yeah those lost fish sure do hurt. Makes you really look forward to the next trip out. My pics on my phone are my log book, details give me what day it was caught. I only use storm shads or topwater so don't need to worry about what lure it was caught on.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts