Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 9 :30 this morning - plan was to fish the outgoing current. South breeze would make it tough but winds were predicted to be light until about noon. Tide was high as I launched.
I hoped to have my one Rock in cooler and be Perch fishing by then.

Ran out to 14 feet and found scattered marks. One nice thing fishing solo - can take a slow bite in stride. Put two rods out and had a nice pick of Spot. Took about 30 minutes to get about 10 - lost 3-4 on the way in as well. Few 5-6 inch Perch mixed in.

While getting Spot - I saw a few charters running from north back to Deale / South River. From the courses - looked like coming from Hodges bar area. The angle was wrong to be coming from Love Point or Chester. Damn , that is a long run. Shaping up like last year.

One nice thing about one fish limit - I can try areas until I pick one off. Charters needing 12 or more Rock can not fish spots that might only hold 2-3 Rockfish.

The current was hardly moving - although predicted to be running at 1 knot. As I looked for Rock at bridge and a few humps close - saw charters running north with 2nd party of day. Same course - about 15*. I plotted it and eyeballed Hodges bar area - ouch.

I set up a few times wind now increasing and pushing boat more than the weak current. Got one nice hit but missed hook up. Put on new Spot and this one got hammered. Fast run off and I was surprised it was only a 22 incher. Really thought it was a bigger fish. Put it in cooler as heat was increasing.

With my Rock limit ( lol ) secured - headed to 20 feet to look for Perch. Used strips of cut Spot - one of my late dad's favorite baits- 1/4 inch by 2-3 inches on spinner hook. Steady bite of 7-9 inchers with just enough 10 to 10 1/2 inchers to keep me there. Must have caught 50 Perch but only put 8 in cooler. Did get one that was 11 7/8 inches - really nice surprise. Also got 3 Spot about 8 inches. What little current there was faded as wind picked up.

Ran back in about 12:30 - enough fish for a nice dinner. Hard to bet fresh caught fish. The tide had dropped about 18 inches - even though there was not much current.

Easy trailer home - other than the cicadas making a mess on the boat. Scrubbed the goo off as soon as home - otherwise it will get cooked on in sun.

Reactions: andypat

·
Registered
110 Posts
Launched at 9 :30 this morning - plan was to fish the outgoing current. South breeze would make it tough but winds were predicted to be light until about noon. Tide was high as I launched.
I hoped to have my one Rock in cooler and be Perch fishing by then.

Ran out to 14 feet and found scattered marks. One nice thing fishing solo - can take a slow bite in stride. Put two rods out and had a nice pick of Spot. Took about 30 minutes to get about 10 - lost 3-4 on the way in as well. Few 5-6 inch Perch mixed in.

While getting Spot - I saw a few charters running from north back to Deale / South River. From the courses - looked like coming from Hodges bar area. The angle was wrong to be coming from Love Point or Chester. Damn , that is a long run. Shaping up like last year.

One nice thing about one fish limit - I can try areas until I pick one off. Charters needing 12 or more Rock can not fish spots that might only hold 2-3 Rockfish.

The current was hardly moving - although predicted to be running at 1 knot. As I looked for Rock at bridge and a few humps close - saw charters running north with 2nd party of day. Same course - about 15*. I plotted it and eyeballed Hodges bar area - ouch.

I set up a few times wind now increasing and pushing boat more than the weak current. Got one nice hit but missed hook up. Put on new Spot and this one got hammered. Fast run off and I was surprised it was only a 22 incher. Really thought it was a bigger fish. Put it in cooler as heat was increasing.

With my Rock limit ( lol ) secured - headed to 20 feet to look for Perch. Used strips of cut Spot - one of my late dad's favorite baits- 1/4 inch by 2-3 inches on spinner hook. Steady bite of 7-9 inchers with just enough 10 to 10 1/2 inchers to keep me there. Must have caught 50 Perch but only put 8 in cooler. Did get one that was 11 7/8 inches - really nice surprise. Also got 3 Spot about 8 inches. What little current there was faded as wind picked up.

Ran back in about 12:30 - enough fish for a nice dinner. Hard to bet fresh caught fish. The tide had dropped about 18 inches - even though there was not much current.

Easy trailer home - other than the cicadas making a mess on the boat. Scrubbed the goo off as soon as home - otherwise it will get cooked on in sun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Skip,
We can always count on you to put a great and detailed report.
That is what this website is all about.
Sonke

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your mark was right.... I was at that bar on Saturday and Sunday. Saw the party from Pooles where there was NOTHING going on.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report Skip. Like Sonke said, it's nice to have great reports like this on the site.

Mike

·
Registered
742 Posts
Skip u are dead on with the location the charters were coming from fish are moving fast and the charter are dead on them daily. LL was on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts