Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charter captain called me on Sunday - he had hung up anchor near range lights on cable.

May be an image of map

He put a big float on rode - makes my recovery much easier. Planned to go after it today. Friend Jeremy met me at Sandy Point at 8 am - my other friend Danny got last minute call to work.

This concerned me - I like two people topside when I dive. Jeremy and I planned to fish first - finding Spot in 15 feet. Jeremy got a 8 inch Flounder as well. Bites were light - current being slow. Gently reeling in the fish bites seemed to help hook the Spot. We put about 20 Spot in live well - all small ones. Current was near end of incoming with shifting west wind.

Went to bridge and found almost no current - damn. Got boat anchored near a piling and we fished live Spot for about 10 minutes. Just about ready to move when had a hit but Rock dropped it. Not uncommon with slow current.

Jeremy hooked up - nice 24 incher. As he was putting it in cooler - I got hit. Nice 22 to finish our limit. It was about 9:15 - turned bow north for the 7 mile run. Bay had small waves - saw incoming current just starting on crab pot floats near Baltimore light.

I prefer to dive on slack - hoped current not too fast farther up the bay. Got near range light and spotted orange float. Side scanned area - seeing cable. Did not look like any other anchors ( bright spots ). We discussed an off the wall idea - pulling anchor and cable to surface and then secure cable to rope so we could get anchor freed.

Dropped bow anchor about 100 feet away and drifted back to float. We pulled rode in as far as the stainless steel chain - then it got heavy. Moved boat west to put slack in cable. We gained some chain and motored west some more.

Took some muscle and we were extra careful not to get tangled in chain. Finally saw the big anchor and cleated off chain. Took a breather - then used a long gaff to carefully hook the 2 inch cable. With tension off cable - Jeremy wrestled anchor free. It was wedged in the flukes. We did not think it through - now gaff had cable. We pulled gaff up higher and then dropped it as we turned it. Plan B was to loop cable with rope - free gaff , then let rope go.

Cable fell back to bottom - we had the anchor without having to dive.

May be an image of body of water

Called captain - he was real happy. Met us near Baltimore light and we handed over the beast plus another anchor of his I found earlier. The red paint is his trademark.

Ran to Podickery - current rolling fast. Tried for Perch but no luck. Went to Sandy Point - Jeremy got a 10 inch Flounder. Cool to see them. No luck on Perch so went to bridge.

Moved around a lot - finding a few Spot , on cut Spot strips. One Spot was about 9 inches - would loved to had it earlier live lining.

Caught a few 8 inch Perch and on last piling stop - hit a school. Got about a dozen in 10 minutes , more than we caught in two hours. Only 3 were over 10 inches though.

Headed back in about 1:30 - fun all around day.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Charter captain called me on Sunday - he had hung up anchor near range lights on cable.

May be an image of map

He put a big float on rode - makes my recovery much easier. Planned to go after it today. Friend Jeremy met me at Sandy Point at 8 am - my other friend Danny got last minute call to work.

This concerned me - I like two people topside when I dive. Jeremy and I planned to fish first - finding Spot in 15 feet. Jeremy got a 8 inch Flounder as well. Bites were light - current being slow. Gently reeling in the fish bites seemed to help hook the Spot. We put about 20 Spot in live well - all small ones. Current was near end of incoming with shifting west wind.

Went to bridge and found almost no current - damn. Got boat anchored near a piling and we fished live Spot for about 10 minutes. Just about ready to move when had a hit but Rock dropped it. Not uncommon with slow current.

Jeremy hooked up - nice 24 incher. As he was putting it in cooler - I got hit. Nice 22 to finish our limit. It was about 9:15 - turned bow north for the 7 mile run. Bay had small waves - saw incoming current just starting on crab pot floats near Baltimore light.

I prefer to dive on slack - hoped current not too fast farther up the bay. Got near range light and spotted orange float. Side scanned area - seeing cable. Did not look like any other anchors ( bright spots ). We discussed an off the wall idea - pulling anchor and cable to surface and then secure cable to rope so we could get anchor freed.

Dropped bow anchor about 100 feet away and drifted back to float. We pulled rode in as far as the stainless steel chain - then it got heavy. Moved boat west to put slack in cable. We gained some chain and motored west some more.

Took some muscle and we were extra careful not to get tangled in chain. Finally saw the big anchor and cleated off chain. Took a breather - then used a long gaff to carefully hook the 2 inch cable. With tension off cable - Jeremy wrestled anchor free. It was wedged in the flukes. We did not think it through - now gaff had cable. We pulled gaff up higher and then dropped it as we turned it. Plan B was to loop cable with rope - free gaff , then let rope go.

Cable fell back to bottom - we had the anchor without having to dive.

May be an image of body of water

Called captain - he was real happy. Met us near Baltimore light and we handed over the beast plus another anchor of his I found earlier. The red paint is his trademark.

Ran to Podickery - current rolling fast. Tried for Perch but no luck. Went to Sandy Point - Jeremy got a 10 inch Flounder. Cool to see them. No luck on Perch so went to bridge.

Moved around a lot - finding a few Spot , on cut Spot strips. One Spot was about 9 inches - would loved to had it earlier live lining.

Caught a few 8 inch Perch and on last piling stop - hit a school. Got about a dozen in 10 minutes , more than we caught in two hours. Only 3 were over 10 inches though.

Headed back in about 1:30 - fun all around day.
That red anchor looks like a cable grabber . He will b calling you alot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Always nice reading your post. If you’re ever around Solomon’s and need a fishing partner or someone to go half on gas let me know. Just moved here a month ago and figuring things out. I have everything from perch fishing to penn international 50 wides.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Nice job on the anchor recovery and the fish Skip. Always enjoy reading your detailed reports. I personally would not want to spend that much time recording events and time. Takes away from my fishing time. Hell, I hate when I have to stop and take a phone call. LOL

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts