Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Sandy Point at 8:30 am - my buddy had to bail out at last minute , hate that. Surprised to only see few trailers there - one looked like for jet ski. Figured be more crowded with Rock open and nice weather.

Got past jetty at 8:45 and found Spot in 13 feet using Fish Bites. Blood worms are very tough to find. The fish bites did OK - I fished one rod in holder , one in my hand. Decent pick of small and medium Spot plus few small Croakers. Had about 10 Spot - debated to hit bridge for 19-23 inchers or gamble off Podickery for a nicer fish.

Current was incoming with west / north west breeze so rolled dice and ran north. No one around - but found a few decent fish. First Spot got hit but no hook up - second Spot got a 26 incher. 9:45 - sent my missing buddy a photo, lol.

Wanted some Perch for a friend - he says any over 8 are fine. Ran to bridge and set up - got slow bite using cut Spot. Charter boat one piling over called me - I've gotten anchor back for captain.

He asked if I had my dive gear onboard - never good question. One of his clients had dropped rod over - just south of piling about hour earlier. I idled over - 21 feet of water. I got gear ready but had to wait about hour for current to near slack.

Called bridge police - they request I call when diving near bridge. Now comes the tricky part - leaving my boat at anchor unattended. Charter would be 20 feet away but still odd feeling going over. Went down line into the darkness - using the down line's 6 pound weight to pound stack into bottom. I had weight in left hand - normally use right but ambidextrous. Managed to get right thumb on top of stake - ouch.

No photo description available.

With stake in firm - began a circle search pattern going out two feet. Rod was 6 feet long so positive I'd find it if in circle. Bottom was sandy / mud as I searched. Out about 12 feet or so and felt old rusted up anchor - left it. Out about 20 feet and bumped into base of piling. I had been going counter clock wise - so reversed after moving line reel to other hand. Back around - hit other side of piling. Reverse again. Current was starting and pushing me ( out going ) so gave up and reeled back to stake - pulling it free.

Went up the line slowly until hit jug at surface. Charter boat was close - I could see disappointment when I shook my head - No. They made sure I got in my boat and retrieved line - then ran back to port.

I dried off and put dive gear in corner - then went after Perch. Decent bite - I put 20 in cooler for my friend - six in cooler for me. Most were 8-10 but some were 11 with best a hair under 12 inches.

Fished until about 1:00 - then headed in. NRP stopped over to check cooler - officer liked the Perch. Wish I could have found the rod - only thought it had been baited with a Spot - perhaps Rock took it and dragged rod away.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Do you still fish the shaded part of pilings for perch Skip? I used your tip yesterday of using cut spot and I noticed bigger perch went after them compared to other type of baits. Thanks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There’s always something that catches my attention in each of your reports. Today’s was the statement regarding smaller fish on the pilings. I found that interesting.
Can we assume the reason to call the bridge police before diving is to assure them you’re not there to be malicious? I bet the people top side heard the profanity when you smashed your thumb. Lol.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My rod and reels are very nice, and they ain't cheap, and it really sucks to lose them (which I have done a few times) BUT I can't imagine asking someone to risk their life to retrieve it. Blows my mind.

Justintime - That is why actual fishing reports are so important here. There is always a little something to glean. No telling how many people have been helped by Skip's reports over the years. The quick little reports Andy gives daily are VERY helpful to some people. I have taken away a whole lot of learning from this site over the years. All fishing reports are great.

Skip - I am also interested to know why you feel the fish off Podickery would be bigger. And thanks for the report.

Pat

·
Premium Member
26,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Vietpimp - Yes , most times. I will try around the piling - sometimes out 20 feet. The Perch seem to move around - perhaps chased by larger Rock (s). Each piling fishes different - some are snaggy or one current vs the other. One secret - I use side scan to find structure off the pilings - all kind of debris down there. Often this can be awesome for larger Perch.

Justintime - Yes , since 9/11 - bridge security got tighter. We used to be able to tie our boats to pilings - now we can't , but oddly the kayakers can sit tight against pilings. The police just like to know a diver is in water - I'm sure they see me on camera. I honestly did not cuss - did not hurt until half way through dive. My own stupid fault - changing way I always do it.

Pkeating - I take diving very seriously - captain did not ask some newbie clear water diver. I'm experienced in muck diving / no visibility. Starting to become a nice side gig. On Sunday I went after a cell phone in harbor - found it it total black out conditions. Yes , there is a risk of dying - I plan to avoid it.

Lot of places hold a few larger Rock. Mostly isolated / unknown structure right now in 15 to 30 feet. From recovering hung anchors and lots of side scanning - I've got a bunch of them. Often 1 to 5 Rock will hold on these - not enough for most boats to bother , plus requires very precise boat position. Off by 10 feet , likely no hits. The other key is using Spot over 6 inches long.

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
I would be very nervous leaving my boat on anchor at the Bridge and diving. My boat is small compared to yours too. I'm sure you got a good anchor set and must be slack tide if you're diving.......Gary

·
Premium Member
26,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crabby - I set anchor so if current started - boat would go south , away from bridge.

I do agree - unnerving to leave my boat , but sorta like sleeping on anchor. You trust the set to hold tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts