Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Sandy Point at 8:30 am - my buddy had to bail out at last minute , hate that. Surprised to only see few trailers there - one looked like for jet ski. Figured be more crowded with Rock open and nice weather.

Got past jetty at 8:45 and found Spot in 13 feet using Fish Bites. Blood worms are very tough to find. The fish bites did OK - I fished one rod in holder , one in my hand. Decent pick of small and medium Spot plus few small Croakers. Had about 10 Spot - debated to hit bridge for 19-23 inchers or gamble off Podickery for a nicer fish.

Current was incoming with west / north west breeze so rolled dice and ran north. No one around - but found a few decent fish. First Spot got hit but no hook up - second Spot got a 26 incher. 9:45 - sent my missing buddy a photo, lol.

Wanted some Perch for a friend - he says any over 8 are fine. Ran to bridge and set up - got slow bite using cut Spot. Charter boat one piling over called me - I've gotten anchor back for captain.

He asked if I had my dive gear onboard - never good question. One of his clients had dropped rod over - just south of piling about hour earlier. I idled over - 21 feet of water. I got gear ready but had to wait about hour for current to near slack.

Called bridge police - they request I call when diving near bridge. Now comes the tricky part - leaving my boat at anchor unattended. Charter would be 20 feet away but still odd feeling going over. Went down line into the darkness - using the down line's 6 pound weight to pound stack into bottom. I had weight in left hand - normally use right but ambidextrous. Managed to get right thumb on top of stake - ouch.

No photo description available.

With stake in firm - began a circle search pattern going out two feet. Rod was 6 feet long so positive I'd find it if in circle. Bottom was sandy / mud as I searched. Out about 12 feet or so and felt old rusted up anchor - left it. Out about 20 feet and bumped into base of piling. I had been going counter clock wise - so reversed after moving line reel to other hand. Back around - hit other side of piling. Reverse again. Current was starting and pushing me ( out going ) so gave up and reeled back to stake - pulling it free.

Went up the line slowly until hit jug at surface. Charter boat was close - I could see disappointment when I shook my head - No. They made sure I got in my boat and retrieved line - then ran back to port.

I dried off and put dive gear in corner - then went after Perch. Decent bite - I put 20 in cooler for my friend - six in cooler for me. Most were 8-10 but some were 11 with best a hair under 12 inches.

Fished until about 1:00 - then headed in. NRP stopped over to check cooler - officer liked the Perch. Wish I could have found the rod - only thought it had been baited with a Spot - perhaps Rock took it and dragged rod away.

·
Premium Member
26,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Vietpimp - Yes , most times. I will try around the piling - sometimes out 20 feet. The Perch seem to move around - perhaps chased by larger Rock (s). Each piling fishes different - some are snaggy or one current vs the other. One secret - I use side scan to find structure off the pilings - all kind of debris down there. Often this can be awesome for larger Perch.

Justintime - Yes , since 9/11 - bridge security got tighter. We used to be able to tie our boats to pilings - now we can't , but oddly the kayakers can sit tight against pilings. The police just like to know a diver is in water - I'm sure they see me on camera. I honestly did not cuss - did not hurt until half way through dive. My own stupid fault - changing way I always do it.

Pkeating - I take diving very seriously - captain did not ask some newbie clear water diver. I'm experienced in muck diving / no visibility. Starting to become a nice side gig. On Sunday I went after a cell phone in harbor - found it it total black out conditions. Yes , there is a risk of dying - I plan to avoid it.

Lot of places hold a few larger Rock. Mostly isolated / unknown structure right now in 15 to 30 feet. From recovering hung anchors and lots of side scanning - I've got a bunch of them. Often 1 to 5 Rock will hold on these - not enough for most boats to bother , plus requires very precise boat position. Off by 10 feet , likely no hits. The other key is using Spot over 6 inches long.

·
Premium Member
26,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crabby - I set anchor so if current started - boat would go south , away from bridge.

I do agree - unnerving to leave my boat , but sorta like sleeping on anchor. You trust the set to hold tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts