Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks this is kinda a second hand report but ill pass it on we left jones creek / smithfield today just to tool around in the boat/ do a pre summer inspection but when we returned to dock another boat came in with 3 coolers full of cats and a few decent croakers saw em for myself he told me he left jones went thru the rescue bridge hung a left and fished between the two bridges .....ive never been thru there before but mabye this will help someone who knows where this is .... but i think its still the pagan river...fish safe to eat??????? i dont know but i probably wouldnt...anyways there it it.....mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
west, just wundering are they safe out of that part of the pagan??/ cause i do love em just wasnt sure...mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
ivorcouple,
I live 5 minutes from there and im always there in the summer getting dozens of minnows for my flounder trips. There is a sign there saying not to eat shellfish, but didn't say anything about eating cats/croaker/etc. I personally have eaten shell fish and fish out of there and nothing bad happened. I've been doing that for 10 years and im still alive, so I would think you would be fine. Thanks for the report, wont be long before the croaker really turn on,

-Chris

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
James River from the I-95 James River bridge in Richmond downstream to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the tidal portion of the following tributaries: Appomattox River up to Lake Chesdin Dam, Bailey Creek up to Rt. 630, Poythress Run,Bailey Bay, Chickahominy River up to Walkers Dam, Skiffes Creek up to Skiffes Creek Dam, Pagan River and its tributary Jones Creek, Chuckatuck Creek, Nansemond River and its tributaries Bennett Creek and Star Creek, Hampton River, Willoughby Bay and the Elizabeth River system (Western Br., Eastern Br., Southern Br., and Lafayette River) and tidal tributaries St. Julian Creek, Deep Creek, and Broad Creek. These river segments comprise ~325 miles. (PCBs, 7/1/02; modified 6/15/04; 12/13/04; 10/10/06 Kepone, 7/1/88)

Richmond City, Henrico Co., Chesterfield Co., Charles City Co., Hopewell City, Colonial Heights City, Petersburg City, Dinwiddie Co., Prince George Co., Surry Co., James City., New Kent Co., Isle of Wight Co., Newport News City, Suffolk City, Portsmouth City, Hampton City, Norfolk City, Chesapeake City and Virginia Beach City

PCBs Gizzard Shad
DO NOT EAT
PCBs Carp DO NOT EAT
PCBs Blue Catfish ≥ 32 inches DO NOT EAT
PCBs Flathead Catfish
≥ 32 inches DO NOT EAT

PCBs Blue Catfish < 32 inches No more
than two meals/month

PCBs Flathead Catfish
< 32 inches
PCBs Channel Catfish
PCBs White Catfish
PCBs Largemouth Bass
PCBs Bluegill Sunfish
PCBs American Eel
PCBs Quillback Carpsucker
PCBs Smallmouth Bass
PCBs Creek Chub
PCBs Yellow Bullhead Catfish
PCBs White Perch
PCBs Anadromous (coastal) Striped Bass
PCBs Bluefish
PCBs Croaker
PCBs Spot
PCBs Blueback Herring
PCBs Hickory Shad
Kepone All Species Limit consumption on a daily basis. However, PCBs advisory is more restrictive. Follow the PCBs advisory for the species listed.

READ IT FOR YOURSELF........EVERY YEAR IT GETS WORSE- THE OLDER/BIGGER THE FISH THE MORE TOXINS IN ITS BODY-
Virginia Department of Health

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I wouldn't eat them!!!! And, the affects of these things if ingested can take years to show as complications........:eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tend to agree Zigh. But just think of how stupid all those healthy people are gonna feel in a few years... laying around, dying of nothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea......ok......Thats good info that you have ''but'', there is commercial fisherman that fish those (areas) for years and years that you had mentioned, I dont think they would fish those (areas) if the fish were bad to eat because of what they carry....Stupid is a little much, but if I am dieing I will let you know.........If you choose to eat them, then go for it, if not then thats fine too. Everybody will have an opinion about it, not trying to start nothing.....Good info that you have, tight lines....Over and out

·
Registered
407 Posts
Keep those James River reports comming in, I fish there most of the season and we never hear much about the James..I hope to get out there this week and see whats happening, Ill let you know what I do...It wouild be nice to catch a few puppy drum..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts