Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
heya went out this morning out of jones creek in the new (to us) trophy 1802 wa.....went out to the third tried for flatties ..no luck but really wanted to try the range on the fuel....jrb to the 3/4th isle a little power drifting and back ...round trip 23 gallons on a merc 125 saltwater....does that sound about rite??? never ran wide open kept it at about 4 grand the whole way...seemed about rite ...23 gallons for about 40 nautical miles...anyone have any info??? ..thanks mike.......what a nice day today if not to catch emmm ....at least a nice boat ride:clapping2:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry bout the wrong distance ..cleaned the boat up now im drowning my liver with a well placed shot...lol.....mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was thinking that also but the boat ran perfect i dont know if the trimming of the motor would have made any diffence as still new to the boat at plane and above motor was trimmed pretty much all the way down,...... any suggestions?????.....mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the 4-6 mpg is a bit high. I have a 2004 Merc 150 saltwater series and the best I have ever seen was 3.2 mpg. I average between 2.7 and 3 depending on the seas. I am assuming you are running a 2-stroke with carbs.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is a good idea when breaking in a new motor to vary the rpm's. Don't put on 4 thou and leave it. Run it at 3, 35, 4, 45, 5 for the first few hours for 3 or 4 minutes at a time. This will help ensure proper ring and piston seating and will go along way toward optimizing fuel consumption and life span of the motor. Check your fuel burn after your break in period. Should be better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey Mike,
Glad to hear the first trip was a success. Where is Jones Creek? I think you must have been west of the JRB? I am out of the Western Branch of the Elizabeth and last time I tried to check it was about 22 miles to the 3/4 island from where I leave from and return to....I have a 150 yamaha and don't use as much fuel as you were talking about.
Anyway, was hoping that you heard a report from the HRBT??:thumbup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
motors broke in....its a 2004 with about 100 hours on it jones creek is west of the jrb....but treachurous at low tide was pulling up mud on the low tide return think well launch from hunnington next time navigated jones creek before but never at low mean 4 foot to gps saying your on land in 5 feet....was haIRY....no more at low tide...whew

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tried real squid and fishbites sqid...nada does anyone have exp.. with the fishbites sqid ...is it worth 7.00 per pack?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a 125 Merc on a 1903 Tropy and I can run to the Triangles and back on half a tank which is like 3 mpg. You are probalbly running a little faster than I tend to run, so your economy is probably close. My motor is a 2000 and It has ran great for the three years I have owned it. Great motor for a two stroke, just took a little while to get used to the two cylinder trolling action. Throttle jumps a little when the other two cylinders kick in as she gets on plane!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
L.O.L.,Doin' a little "Drowning" of the Liver myself right now!Fuel mileage all depends on load,Sea states ,rpm's,trim,etc.I would think if its a carbed?,Merc......around 3 mpg.,maybe alittle more?What do you Guys think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts