Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
left out at 0600 went to 59a marked a little was there about 2hrs, had a green horn so had to go back to calmer water in the rapp went up to 8, marks far and few between nothing, went back to the mouth had better marks but still far and few between, got one 30 which i put back on the red and white 25+. Heard all you guys talking on the radio was going to hollar but my boat name is different than my screen name. Hope to go out again next weekend.

·
Registered
207 Posts
At Fleets Bay / 59A from 3pm-5:30pm Sat. Good marks of bait and fish, a single knockdown on the electric chicken that's outcaught all others so far this year, but nothing in the boat. As of sunset, I was the only one still out. Gave it another 30 minutes, hoping things would turn on. New subject: One guess as to why fish fail to bite all day long is that they're feeding at night, but it seems nobody fishes after dark - why is that?? (Worth noting we damn near hit the unlit red marker coming into Broad Creek - gotta get a spot - that's ONE good reason to come in by light of day.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
My question about night fishing has been greeted w/loud silence. My guess is nobody does it and nobody knows why nobody does it. I'll be the test dummy and will report any good results.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lots of people eel at night, especially at the Highrise of the CBBT and there is a lot of bait around the HRBT on the lightline at night that people fish hard early in the fall. I'm not sure why people don't do it up the bay, but my guess would be there isn't those big pieces of structure with lights to focus on and more people are running out of creeks and rivers that are a little harder to navigate at night. I think if you were going to fish at night I would chum on the hook and fish with chunks and eels at all levels of the water column.

·
Registered
477 Posts
When I have the boat down south I do as stated above & fish the light lines on structure like stated above. When I had a smaller boat I used to troll between the spans of the HRBT but the big boat won't fit under 'em so I don't go any more. I sure wish the Whitestone bridge had lights on it down where it would do some good. As to trolling, I think trolling at night would be a hit or miss thing so I don't bother with it. I have all the goodies for navigating at night & would sure do it if I thought it was worth it. I used to run in and out of Wallaces down in Hampton all the time at night. If you can do that channel at night you can do any of the creeks around here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fish feed at night more rigorously during ample lighting ... e.g. full moon. I've heard it said that the Rock feed feebly during the day after a full moon, but hit hard after an obscured moon or no moon at night.

I avoid the night fishing during the colder months simply for safety issues. With the water so cold I would be very concerned about rescuing a person overboard ... if they were even detected to have fallen out of the boat. Hooks at night is a whole other matter.

Love bottom fishing at night during the summer. The water comes alive with the efferfourescence (sp?). Like a non stop fireworks display.

I think it all boils down to how well your boat is equipped for this. Mine is not, so prudence is priortized.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the abouve about the night feeding is correct, it affects all wildlife. Here is one for ya, on the 12th the moon is going to be colest to the earth than it has in the past 10 years, it is also supposed to be the fullest it has been. What effect is that going to have on one the tides and second if it is going to be that bright i wonder if it would be worth trolling that night??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Timber,

Put "proxigean spring tide" into Google and you'll see many sites about December 12th's tides. As for whether it is a good time to fish, I'll leave that to the better fisherman on here to reply. But this all sounds cool anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts