Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried for the cobia saturday with no luck, the winds waves and tides were not in my favor. I heard a few people chattn about flounder on the radio amoung the freakn sailboaters talking about what they had for lunch. Didnt dound like they were having much luck either. I was surprised at the lack of people out sat, little choppy but not horrible.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sounds like they're around, but not thick. Were you chumming or trying to sight cast them? Probably too choppy for sight fishing I presume.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We anchored up but with the current and tide running opposite directions we were all over the place. I would like to know where the guy that weighed one in at greys point was fishing , we didnt see anyone where we were.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is windmill pt bar still the go to spot for cobes? Maybe better once water warms?
I will be honest , I was fishing in that general area and I was the only boat there so I know he wasent there. He may have run south toward the York and just claimed to be close.
Looks like the winds will be up again this weekend. doh,

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Sanflea, one guy I talked with did same as you, but ended up sight casting. He did OK!
BTW, I know a guy that fished 1-2 miles from me Sat. I never saw his boat either!
Keep trying you'll figure it out, I know they are up there! I had been told in past they come in the bay in May but don't bite till June.
( not sure how true it is)
Have you googled cobia fishing? Saw a few locals! ( Julie Ball, Mike Avery,etc)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was he sight casting further south ? I didnt see anyone on the bar, and only one non sailboat on the way in at the mouth of the rapp.

Im gonna keep giving it hell , I will be back out there sat, Its so boring but better than catching croaker.

- - - Updated - - -

Wolf trap or gwynns any good for cobia? I need to stay somewhat close to rapp
why stay close to the rapp ? i dont know about wolftrap i only go there for spades.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wolftrap - good shoal and dropoffs, should hold some fish. Spent a tide chumming there once last year, late in the season, without success.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a much smaller boat than my old one, so crossing the bay at anytime isn't a real option. I'll give the WM bar a shot in the upcoming months, easy enough for me tuck back inside if it gets too rough

·
Registered
143 Posts
guys,
tried windmill bar last year for cobes,put one small one in boat & had a couple of bigger fish break off last year early July on Windmill Bar.Will be out 7- 13 week this year trying.It was my first time trying last year & i was excited just to be able to land the little guy. Had chum bag behind boat,ells on bottom & spot on top with ballons.
sharon lea
Bethpage (Urbanna)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SANFLEA, everything I caught last season was on the outgoing; is your experience any different?
The fish I did see was on the outgoing tide , it was north heading south , which i was expecting the opposite.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
guys,
tried windmill bar last year for cobes,put one small one in boat & had a couple of bigger fish break off last year early July on Windmill Bar.Will be out 7- 13 week this year trying.It was my first time trying last year & i was excited just to be able to land the little guy. Had chum bag behind boat,ells on bottom & spot on top with ballons.
sharon lea
Bethpage (Urbanna)
I was doing similar, two on the bottom and two on floats, How far on that ledge are you guys putting the boat ? Are you anchoring in 12' and fishing back to 30' ?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
guys,
sharon lea
Bethpage (Urbanna)
Funny thing you said spot. We caught 6 decent mullet , no other bottom fish, no croaker nothing , I found that kinda odd

·
Registered
207 Posts
I anchor in the middle of the bar and imagine the slick is very dispersed by the time it reaches the ledge. My thinking is the fish are cruising the 16'-22' water but I admit to knowing very little about this. 2014 was our 1st season trying and we found the learning curve to be steep. I believe we landed 6 keepers and 8 total on probably 6 trips. Several multiple fish days, a couple skunks, and probably 4 other fish lost due to mistakes by anglers and crew both.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'v never chummed for them, only sight casting a few times on a friend's boat that has a tower. Thanks for the info you all are sharing.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I anchor in the middle of the bar and imagine the slick is very dispersed by the time it reaches the ledge. My thinking is the fish are cruising the 16'-22' water but I admit to knowing very little about this. 2014 was our 1st season trying and we found the learning curve to be steep. I believe we landed 6 keepers and 8 total on probably 6 trips. Several multiple fish days, a couple skunks, and probably 4 other fish lost due to mistakes by anglers and crew both.
what water depth are you anchoring in ? sat the current was going the wrong direction so i pulled off into 32' , the tide was pulling my chum onto the bar instead of off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts