Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed at Boatersworld a SPOT is now only $99.99 for turkey day weekend. I know an EPIRB is better and I have had one onboard. I would use the SPOT in a smaller boat for inland lakes, tidal rivers and some parts of the bay. Does anyone have experience with one? Or actually used one in an emergency.

Thanks

Good Fishin

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I've been using it. Bought is mostly for my wife's peace of mind so she knows I'm OK out there. She can track me using google maps and everytime I hit the OK button, she gets a cell text saying I'm OK. Only issue I have using it on the water as an EPIRB backup is battery life and lack of being waterproof if we go into the water so for this reason think an EPIRB is better. But it's a cool device and keeps my wife from worrying about me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I bought one this past summer. I've used it a few times. The one thing i've found at least with mine is that if there's much cover like under a hardtop, it doesn't seem to track the satellites very well at all. I've mostly been using as a log of my trips. I can download the track and put into google earth then annotate it with temp, tide, weather, etc information.

-Mike

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
call Bass Pro first in Hampton to see if they are on sale again, I saw them for 79.99 when I was buying a new 12ga last month-

Tony's buddy Tony has a SPOT he used up on the river to comm to his home 20 he was ok as well.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got to keep the economy going

Thanks everyone. Jamie I'll give BPS a call when I get off the water today. Thanks Mister!

Happy Thanksgiving all. I'll be in Charlotte till Sunday. Catchem Up!

Good Fishin

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
These prices include a $50 rebate that is good until the end of the year. Still not a bad price. Remember you have to buy a service package starting at $99. per year. My wife saw this thread, now I'm getting one for Christmas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
West Marine also has them on sale. 99.99, free yr tracking service. I have spoken with the Spot folks regarding how waterproof the thing is and was told that it is completely waterproof down to 8-10'. But again, for tracking progress, its great, as an EPIRB, buy an EPIRB.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
West Marine also has them on sale. 99.99, free yr tracking service. I have spoken with the Spot folks regarding how waterproof the thing is and was told that it is completely waterproof down to 8-10'. But again, for tracking progress, its great, as an EPIRB, buy an EPIRB.
Truth in lending...from the spot website:

Waterproof to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.

Is that enough time before it stops transmitting because you are in the water? Not where I fish.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
These prices include a $50 rebate that is good until the end of the year. Still not a bad price. Remember you have to buy a service package starting at $99. per year. My wife saw this thread, now I'm getting one for Christmas.
Uh oh ........ now you REALLY have to go fishing :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
true enough about the 1 meter. I would imagine that its' the same wherever you fish. However, it does float, supposedly, and if you are holding or it is attached to your jacket when you are overboard, if it at 1meter for 30 minutes and shorts out because of water, I don't think that the Spot would be a problem. Problem would be that you have already drown.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a SPOT locator and have used it several times to log when and where I catch fish. It is a great tool to be used along side of my EPIRB. Imagine you are floating in the water or are stranded with a broken leg in the woods, you now have the ability to contact emergency services with the press of a button when your cell phone will not reach a cell tower. It works by satelite and its requirement is to have access to the sky. I like to screw with friends when I am fishing and they are working. I enter their e-mail or phone number into my contact list (up to 10 ) and when I catch a fish, I know they know I am on the water. They can see where I am along with the Lat/Lon position.
For the money, you really can't afford not to ask Santa for one. Average retail is @ $149 there is a $50 rebate till the end of the year, A $99.00 service for the year with unlimited posting of your location, calling for "Non-emergency help and Serious "911" help that will call out the Helicopters to find you.
Research them online at SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER. You will understand why I feel it an important part of my boating gear.
Ric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts