Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Paul was finally able to go this weekend, so on Saturday we were up at 3 AM making the drive from Martinsburg WV down to Solomons. Launched the boat at 7:00. The weather was great...clear skies, and light winds. We headed south, and dropped lines in at 7:30, about halfway between Buoy 74 and Buoy 72B. At this point, there is very little boat traffic. I have 5 board lines out, and am showing Paul how to deploy the port side board and lines, when I hear the SNAP of a clip! Fish on! Its nice when you get your first fish before you even get half the lines out. Paul reeled in a nice 37 incher, that hit a white 2 oz chute on a tandem rig. I worked hard to get the rest of the lines out while the bite was on....I didn't even take the time to put the first fish on ice...just let him flop on the deck while I tried to get the rest of the lines out. The urgency paid off, and 15 minutes later we had a double knockdown off the boards. One line didn't come tight....but the other one did. This fish took a lot of line off the drag, and I thought I might be in for a really BIG one. Got him to the boat and netted him...was a little dissapointed he was only 41". He fought like a 48! The double knockdown came when we crossed a good baitball, so we turned and worked it for the next hour, getting a few more fish, and a few more bites-no-tight. By then, the whole chesapeake bay armada was out in force. Boats everywhere as far as the eye could see. Not surprisingly, the good bait marks and fish marks all dissapeared. The action slowed too...bites were few and far between. The action did not pick up again until around 1:00ish....ironically after most of the armada had left for the day. We caught 3 more fish in about 30 minutes...one off a 4 oz purple headed chartruses chute that had one eye busted off. I thought about trying to replace the broken eye, but he has caught 3 fish for me in two days this fall. So, instead he stays as is, and has earned the name "one eyed purple rockfish slayer." We also caught 2 fish on a deep rod....white umbrella 55 feet back with a 24 oz inline. At this point, we had boated 7 rockfish....one 27 incher, all others better than 35". (several I didn't measure because they were released.) At 3:00 we started cranking the lines in to head home. As Paul is pulling in the last of the board lines, I look out to see a tail splashing around the lure. "Uhhh....Paul...you've got a fish on." He replied..."I do?" Turns out it was a 26 incher that bit but couldn't pull hard enough to pop the clip or pull the board enought to get our attention. No telling how long we had been dragging him behind the boat. No matter though, we were glad because we still needed our last "under" to finish the day. In the box he went! Finished the day with 8 fish landed, and several other bites. Made it back home by 8:30, tired, but a great day. I'll post some pics later when I get home.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...its a Grady White 228 Seafarer (22 ft. walk around). One of the reasons I chose it is because it is real wide open in the back. 99% of my fishing (trolling, working lines, rigging baits, etc.) takes place in the back of the boat....so I wanted a boat that had a lot of space back there. It also has the closed transom with motor bracket, which gives it a little more room than the cut transom model. I used to own a center console, but didn't like it because most of its "wide open space" was in the bow....where I never fished.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Jason! Funny you remembered. Actually, I gave Sarah the wide open invite to come. I told her that she proved her fish-worthyness and toughness last week, and that she earned the right to go on any (well almost any) future fishing trip. She was interested, but decided she didn't want to crash "guys day out." Also, she said she and some of her girlfriends were hosting some jewlry party the next day or something that she had to get ready for. (I also think that she was shy and worried about what she would have to do if she had to pee and there was another guy on the boat).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and as far as the purple shads....I am running two of them in my spread right now. This is the first time I have tried them. One is on a white chute and the other on a chartruese chute. Both chutes are 4 oz purple bullet heads, one head glitters. I am committed to giving them a fair shot in the spread, but haven't had a hit on them in 2 days so far. I might try running them on a lighter head or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts