Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took 2 friends out Saturday who wanted some perch for the freezer. The plan was to hit the usual spot on the Severn. The tide was projected to be high at 6:07am with winds out of the ESE at 3mph. We arrived at Truxton Park at 6am and to the fishing spot at 6:25am. Slow 6mph ride out of Spa Creek. Once out into the open waters we were greeted with calm waters and a bright orange sunrise. You knew it was going to get warm.
Water Sky Light Tower Afterglow
The tide was high as predicted and fishing was a little slow until it started moving again. We were picking up a few here and there, mostly 8 and 9 inchers. I was throwing mine back waithing for 10's. My buddie's weren't as picky, they were keeping their 9 inchers. My buddies were throwing a gold and silver spinners, I started with an electric chicken perch pounder. My pounder wasn't doing so well so I switched colors to Jamie's Halloween. Then I started to catch more fish.
Font Jewellery Plant Illustration Rectangle
The nice thing about the pounders is the single hook. The two guys were struggling with all three hooks in the perch's mouths. One of my friends was not a avid fishermen and his casting abilities struggled. He would cast right past the other two lines and tangle all three many times, what a mess. I called it quits at 10:30am because fishing had slowed down and the hot sun was getting to my 79 year old buddy. Total count for the day was 66 perch and 3 channel cats.
Food Ingredient Seafood Cuisine Dish Food Seafood Fish products Fish Cuisine

Mike

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for sharing the beautiful sunrise and fishing report. Are you catching them in schools or a few here and there?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing the beautiful sunrise and fishing report. Are you catching them in schools or a few here and there?
The past couple of weeks I have been catching them on almost every cast, and quite a few over 10". This week it was a lot slower action all fished in the same 100 yards. The fish were smaller as well only a few 10", mostly 8"s and 9"s.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Nice work Mike. Good to take care of your friends. I'm going crabbing Thursday and going to take a perch rod with me. I miss the perch dinners......... Gary

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work Mike. Good to take care of your friends. I'm going crabbing Thursday and going to take a perch rod with me. I miss the perch dinners......... Gary
Gary,
If the weather holds out next Sunday I'm baiting my two 600' trot lines. Haven't been in 2 years fishing is my 1st passion. With the price of crabs and family wanting some, time to switch it up.

Mike

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Gary,
If the weather holds out next Sunday I'm baiting my two 600' trot lines. Haven't been in 2 years fishing is my 1st passion. With the price of crabs and family wanting some, time to switch it up.

Mike
Your right about the price of crabs. We just came from Kool Ice Seafood Market in Cambridge. One dozen number ones $70. We bought four large white perch and had the lady fillet them. Also four soft crabs. Pat is frying the soft crabs right now. We also bought a pound of claw meat because the lump crab meat was $50. a pound. Claw was $18. Can you make crab cakes with claw meat. We always use back fin, or lump. But no way we are paying 50.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts
Gary,

Mike

Good luck Mike. Crabbing is slow right now but you can probably scratch out a bushel but it will take 5-7 hours. I'm catching them in 10'........ Gary

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right about the price of crabs. We just came from Kool Ice Seafood Market in Cambridge. One dozen number ones $70. We bought four large white perch and had the lady fillet them. Also four soft crabs. Pat is frying the soft crabs right now. We also bought a pound of claw meat because the lump crab meat was $50. a pound. Claw was $18. Can you make crab cakes with claw meat. We always use back fin, or lump. But no way we are paying 50.
Andy,
You can use claw meat but it's just not the same taste or quality. I even use back-fin or lump when I make crab dip.

Mike

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck Mike. Crabbing is slow right now but you can probably scratch out a bushel but it will take 5-7 hours. I'm catching them in 10'........ Gary
Thanks Gary,
I understand crabbing has been better here up north than down south, bigger crabs also. Time will tell.

Mike

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Andy,
You can use claw meat but it's just not the same taste or quality. I even use back-fin or lump when I make crab dip.

Mike
Yea all we used for a lifetime/ 70 years has been lump, or back fin. Well we will find out if it is OK to use the 18.00 crab meat. You must have tried it to know. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
14,258 Posts

Andy, I can't believe you are buying white perch with all you catch. You can make crab cake with claw meat but it's not as good as backfin or lump. Claws are better for crab soup. No way would I buy crabs or crab meat right now. Can't catch them, don't eat them. Lobster is cheaper!........ Gary

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh man, you guys are killing me with the seafood pictures.

Mike, how about a picture of your breaded perch? I would appreciate the breading process if you're willing to share?

Andy buying perch to eat? Did I read that right?

Gary, We have to get together and go after perch.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts

Mike, how about a picture of your breaded perch? I would appreciate the breading process if you're willing to share?

LOL! Yes you heard that right. I cleaned so many fish I will never clean another one. The nice lady at Kool Ice fillet them for us.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Justintime,

This is the 1st year in 15 years that I have had to filet a perch. My fishing buddies wife has always fixed them for me in appreciation of taking her husband fishing throughout the year. They come to me already breaded and packaged, how spoiled am I ? I won't have a picture but I will post the recipe she gave me just a few weeks ago. I told her I wanted to start cleaning my own this year, but still wanted to use her recipe. I have always cleaned my own stripers. I will post tomorrow.

Mike

·
Registered
14,258 Posts

Don, I am ready. I'm working the upcoming weekend but will be off the following weekend. Crabbing has been pretty slow but I have managed to get at least a bushel each time. Only crab during the week. August is slow but September and October should be good. Let's make August a perch month........ Gary

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
FWIW: On the Mepps spinners - you can cut one or two off the treble hooks off , makes it much easier to unhook fish. Mashing the remaining barb (s) is even better. I stay away from treble hooks if I can.

I give you credit - never would have guessed you were 79. Man , hope if I see that number - still able to fish .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts