Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunted a private farm in Montgomery County, MD on Saturday in the rain and wind. I'm only just now getting into hunting as I'm much more of a fishermen who fishes 250 days a year. But lately I've been determined to take one down with a bow. I guess you guys call it buck fever.

Anyway, I've read and heard from some experienced hunters that during the rain, deer can be easily stalked. They tend to bed down and their senses are not nearly as acute during the fowl weather, favoring the hunter. I figured that in the area I was hunting that I'd surely sneak up on a few. I didn't see a thing from first light till mid Afternoon when I finally spooked one but it wasn't stopping. It must have been blowing 30mph, branches swaying, tons of added noise in the woods but I still spooked this thing from out of no where and it never stopped to look back.

So what is everyone's experience in the wind and rain? It should be prime time in Mo County for rutting bucks but like I said, I didn't see a thing in an area that is supposed to have the highest deer density in the state. I figured I'd atleat see some movement even if I never could get close enough with the stalk. Do they tend to bed down during fowl weather? If the female deer are in estrus, they can't just turn it off with the rain.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
from what ive seen in the rain and wind, deer will either hole up and not move at all or they dont like it when they cant hear real good so they are on the prowl, myself personnally like the wind because it covers alot of sound in the woods

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
from what ive seen in the rain and wind, deer will either hole up and not move at all or they dont like it when they cant hear real good so they are on the prowl, myself personnally like the wind because it covers alot of sound in the woods
I'll the second that, it depends on lots of things like temperature,( saturday was i think almost 70 degrees) They were problably bedded all day and it was too hot for me to hunt. If it were 35 degrees in the peak of the rut , rain or snow they would be moving. If you jump a big buck in their bedding area, chances are they will never bed there again that season.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hunting while its raining is normal waisting time but durning the rut its a good time to hunt. The does will bed up but a buck will keep moving checking other does and scrapes. Hunting during windy weather is ok if you know were the deer are coming from and the wind doesnt change direction and you are not hunting a very thick area.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Deer can't completely stop moving in the wind, they need to feed when temps are low,they are often found in wind break bottoms where the wind doesn't move the folage quite as much a light rain doesn't seem to bother their movements but a down pour will keep them hole up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
thats the best hunting to me little wind-rain walking the woods stalking, theres a certain feeling you get hunting from the ground. i think the moon matters more than the weather in reguards to there movement

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hunting while its raining is normal waisting time but durning the rut its a good time to hunt. The does will bed up but a buck will keep moving checking other does and scrapes. Hunting during windy weather is ok if you know were the deer are coming from and the wind doesnt change direction and you are not hunting a very thick area.
tell that to the one on saturday that i put a custom exhaust on.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts