Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted much in the last few years because just haven't done much fishing. But always enjoyed reading everybody's posts and successes. Managed to get out Saturday on the Rapp and joined the fleet off the carratoman. It was just me and my 10 yr old son so I really didn't want to stay in and around all the boats so we trolled towards the bridge. We got out of the deep water and had been in 35 ft for about 5 minutes when she hit. I held the rod and he cranked the reel. It was a blast and definitely a challenge getting her over the side but we managed. Ended up being 44 inches and 40 pounds. It was about 12:30 and we were right in front of Carters Creek. She hit the 20 oz chart mojo on the bottom of the daisy chain. He has caught some big ones before but this was his biggest. Great day and I'm pretty sure he is now hooked for life. Good luck to everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Great story. Just hate seeing another Myco infested fish like that and just about every one I am seeing coming from the Bay and the tributaries. The ocean fish don't have Myco like our local fish...CAUSE THEY FEED ON MENHADEN ALL YEAR LONG!!!

R

·
Registered
544 Posts
Now, Mr. I Don't Fish Often, explain to me if you will, what is that rear DF set-up you have at the stern of your boat. Looks like a 14" monitor???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys. That screen in the back is an iPad in a life proof case mounted in a ram mount. The raymarine unit I have transmits a wifi signal to it so I have a screen in the back that mirrors the screen at the helm. I can also control it from the rear also. I don't have a big boat (20 ft Grady) but is saves me from having to look over the drivers shoulder all day since the front screen is mounted in a lower position. Plus I already had the iPad so the only cost was the ram mount. The stuff that looks like myco on the fish is actually just blood. The stinger hook caught in the gills and by the time we finished the whole back of the boat looked like a tuna had been back there. Took me 20 minutes just to clean it all up. Fish was very pretty and healthy without a sore to be found. Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Great fish and that's a very cool set up with the iPad! Never even thought of a wifi/Bluetooth signal on a fish finder. Same thing for me on my 21' Hydra-Sports WA. Because of glare and location, have to walk up and look over driver's shoulder to see what's going on.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not looking to take this string away from a great catch but, I checked into the wifi option for my HDS7 (non touch) and I will have to add the Gofree wifi module and get my DF loaded with a software upgrade. Total cost +/- $200. Then the cost of the mount. Not bad given you can then run your screen on smart phones and tablets.

image-2029041711.jpg

R

·
Registered
221 Posts
The big fish come and go in the Rapp...have caught similar sized fish in Feb. @ same location. It was a few years back when there was a warm Nov., Dec. then a super cold snap in Jan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts