Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Got out again today with my dad. Really, for two reasons. Earlier in the week I had installed trim tabs on my boat. My boat is a little weird in the transom so I had to do sort of an unconventional install becase the transom is actually inset. Weird, I know. But they seemed to work very very well. They suck the bow down like a pro, even though I can't really balance the boat side to side because of how close they had to go towards the center.

Anyway, headed out at first light and shot for the rips. There were some mixed reports there. It seems some people did well there, and some not good at all. Maybe it was tide, who knows.

The jigging was tough and there were a few boats out there but my dad and I found a school of fish further back with some nice ones mixed in. Having fished that place so much was a great advantage today. There was a distinct pattern to sucking the larger fish off the bottom. There were birds working the rip at one point in time, and splashes, but these were fish of the 12" variety. By really working the bottom where we found some marks in the back, we were able to limit out and then some very quickly. Nothing huge, but a decent average grade. Again getting the keepers out of there was tough. If I didn't have so much experience there, we would not have caught them.

Went looking for the motherload around 8:30. My logic was this: There are alot of rivers up the bay, Eastern Bay general complex, The Chester, Tred Avon, Choptank, Little Tank. There would have to be loads of fish coming out of these areas staging on the channel edge.

I headed northeast and decided I would actually try to work and find some fish. I drove the boat at 12mph, zig zagged the channel, and looked for fish on the edge for several miles wishing I had a few trolling rods with me to bounce the bottom. About five miles north of the CP (keep in mind this is after looking on the edge for about 40 minutes driving at 12mph) I finally found something worth jigging on. Circled back, and had excellent marks!

Dropped the metal down and hooked up immedietly. I was able to stay on these for quite a while, but, eventually I lost them. I think they went into deeper water but I am not sure.

Kept heading north and turned into the Choptank. I saw a massive pack of boats pointed in differet directions around red "12" (I think) and thought for sure it had to be the motherload of breakers. But as I got closer everyone was trolling. I looked around with the meter and bent pole sonar and didn't see much. I probably missed the bite.

Anyway set a course for Solomons and blasted back at 40mph. Saw some breakers here and there but they were small flocks of birds in the mangled mess of crab pots on the Eastern Shore and although catchable all these fish were barely legal or smaller.

Kept thinking I had to find the motherload, but, after two days I have basically been from below Point Lookout to above Chesapeake Beach both on the west and east sides with only small fish to show or microbites on very small specefic areas. I am taking tomorrow off, tying up all my broomsticks and trolling the deep from here on out. Sad to say it, I think the light tackle bay proper bite is going good bye.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Thanks for the info Prince, but I have to disagree with your last statement.

I think it is the beginning of an excellent fall lite tackle bite. I have to believe that, because I am just starting to fish.

Had a good afternoon off popl, as reports show.

Glad you got the tabs, should be a big help.
see ya out there soon.:D

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Francis,

Been slow in the hollow. Went south to boy's camp to find some fish. They are boat shy! I could see all kinds of birds by PNP, but didn't want to make the run.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I am just being pessimestic and it will pick up. We will see.

Dal-Daryl got on those PNP fish. Small, nothing over 25" stuff.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Glad you got some off CP,I did not..

Was at the rip at 730ish and marked a few but that was the first time for me there that Nuttin came in.:confused:Saw Pete there but he hightailed it outta there.Not much in the way of tidal movement may have slowed the bite,who knows.
I'm gonna have to erect a lifesize sillouette of Superfish in the cockpit next trip to help the catchin...:D

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You covered a lot of ground. Thanks for the intel. Saturday myself and a couple buddys launched out of Buzz's and fished the mouth of St Jeromes down to PLO, over to the target ship, around the humps just south of there then over to PNP light and back into St Jerome's. Didn't see hardly any bird activity and only got into some mediocre action at St Jerome's and managed about 12 fish but only 3 as long as 19". Sunday was worse. Wind restricted us to the inside of the creek and the mouth. Got 1 small keeper on my first cast and that was it. I don't know if the LTJ bite is gone in the main bay but it's sure slow out there.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave and Timbo,
Thanks for the intel. There are alot of people fishing now and not catching a whole lot. We will see. I will be heading out tomorrow afternoon again to see whats up. I really want to go trolling but I don't have my stuff together yet so I am going to try one more time to make them bite jigs. My approach is going to be different though. I am not seeing the motherload of fish anywhere from these reports.

Instead of being slow, methodical, and trying to wait out a bite, and find a school, I am going to try to put together a milk run of small likely spots and burn some serious gas blasting from point to point.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Local intel tells me the Honga and Hoopers straits are loaded with keepers.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Wino,

I thought you knew there were no fish over there!
I get the local report when I call to check on my house, seems they had some Trout back in Sept.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve,
Sounds like I maybe should have run south, but, I dunno it's a **** shoot this time of year.

Shawn,
I'll trade you the hat for a few candy corn jigheads and a fifty yard line pass!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts