Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a late start because the wind report indicated that it would be blowing strongest in the morning. We got to DYC around 9am and headed out twards Fleets bay with the hope of hiding from the NW wind. By the time we got to fleets bay it was apparent that it would be to hard to keep the lines straight in in my 23ft parker so we headed for the mouth of the river.

After the bumpy ride back to the river we put in the lines as soon as we got to the deep water on the windmill point side. My spread consisted of a chartuse strech 22 back about 250' a storm 4 arm umbrella rid back 225 with no weight a 4 arm white umbrella with 2 bucktails w/ 6" shads hanging from 2 of the arms about 175' back with no weight. Chartuse 4 arm umbrella with bucktails and 6" shads with 6oz of weight about 150' back. 4 arm white umbrella with a 3 oz white bucktail and 1 oz white bucktail going back out the center with 12oz oz weight. And finally a 6 arm chartuse umbrella with a parachute and 9" shad. I would usually run all big baits this time of year but I went on a charter boat out of point lookout last monday and after a few hours of trolling 21 lines we pulled the lines in and ran a 6 line spread of umbrella rigs and small bucktails hanging from the arms of the umbrella. He told me the big fish were spotty at best.

10 minutes after putting the lines in my storm umbrella went down. When we got it in the boat it had 2 keepers a 22" and a 25" hanging from it. The fish hit right as we got to buttlers hole. We turned the boat around and headed back twards the mouth. 20 minutes later we picked up another 22" on the white umbrella with the bucktails. 20 minutes after that we picked up another 21" on the chartuse umbrella with the bucktails. We were at the mouth of the bay at this point and could see a lot of boats out near 2R so we tried to follow the deep water out of the river to get to 2R. A good mapping system helps here because it is a really hard channel to follow out of the river and keep in 35' of water. On the way to 2R we pulled in one more 21" fish on the storm umbrella. We got to the fleet of boats at 2R and it did not look like there was a lot going on so we pulled the lines in at 2.

This has been a really hard year and frustrating year striper fishing between the wind and the lack of big fish. I am going to keep at it and try different things until I can find a consistant way to pull fish out of the bay or river.

One additional thing to add is that the bait that these fish were feeding on were small. A few had Menhaded in their mouths that were about 4" long. Maybe that was because I caught small fish or maybe it is just what is out there now.

I will give it another shot when the wind stops blowing.

Daydreamer

·
Registered
496 Posts
Great report!! Let's hope the winds stops blowing before the temp get's too low, the fish stop biting, and the creeks freeze up. Hoping for two more weeks before packing it in.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You had a better day than we did up the river - congrats on the catching! I'm still looking for my first big fish of the season - they seem to be far and few between. Thanks for the report - we're all struggling to find decent fish!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts