Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left the dock around 830 Sat morning headed toward 62 to try our luck. After about a half hour of fishing we landed our first nice rock followed by another nice one about an hour later. We ended up catching one more before things slowed down and didnt get a hit until something strange happened on the way in. We were heading into little bay towards Tabbs creek going about 22 knots when we ride by a 6 point buck swimming about 2 miles offshore heading straight for the eastern shore. To make a long story short, we got behind the deer and kind of scared him toward shore. We got him to swim within about a half mile of the shore heading for it so we decided to head on in. After a few minutes we turn around and the buck has turned around and is heading back toward the Eastern Shore again. We end up backing the boat down and throwing a rope around the deer and dragging into onto the boat. We took it back to the dock, untied it and let it go where it just stood in the yard for about an hour completely exhausted. You could walk up to it and it would not budge. All in all not a bad fishing trip. 3 Rockfish and a 6 Point Buck. Here are a couple pics. Hope they work.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw the same thing a couple years ago farther up the Rapp at about Rogue's Point, unfortunately it didn't have a happy ending.

The buck was a nice one, about 12 points, and had been chased into the water by hunting dogs. A couple of them followed him in but turned around after about 50 yards. The deer never looked back. I watched it for quite a while but only had a kayak at the time and that wasn't going to work out.

The river is a couple miles wide there but he still might have made it if he hadn't turned upriver about two-thirds of the way across and gone parallel to the banks, against the current. There were plenty of guys fishing out there and I hoped to see somebody throw a rope around the antlers and tow him into shallower water but it didn't happen. I lost sight of him after about 20 minutes of swimming.

Bringing the deer on board took some guts. I salute you, sir! - Mike

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
May the good Karma come back to as you are well deserving of it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That seems like the right thing to do but if the marine police or a game warden witnessed the deer in the boat, he would issue a citation. I encountered the same thing last summer in front of Kiptopeake beach and was talking to the park ranger and he said it is unlawful to corral the deer even if it is good intentions. I agree with you because I scared the deer with the boat back to the beach.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hell of a job man ! If a s#& o# @ Bit*% would give ya a ticket. Then so be it. Ya still did GOOD!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts