Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last three years, I have done most of my hunting East of the Blue Ridge in Va. After years West of the BR, I have had a hard time adjusting to the late season when my neighbors are running dogs. I killed a doe Sat 12/3 - the first day of "dog season" in the county in which I hunt, but I should've had at least 4 (of course, I know 2 is the limit). I can't stand having deer run by without being able to get off a shot with my old faithful .270 w/ scope. I recently learned that Savage makes a 24F-12 w/ .30-30 over 12 gauge that seems like a perfect combination for my new style of hunting. Has anyone ever used one of these guns? Does anyone have a better idea? They are pricey, for sure. I'm nervous about switching over exclusively to buckshot because 100-yd shots are possible in some situations. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Way back some forty years ago my dad gave me a Savage 24 for Christmas. I was just starting to hunt and it was a great gun for that purpose. Mine was a .222 over a 20ga, it's a hammer gun with a barrel selector on the hammer. Great turkey guns where state's will allow both shotgun or rifle. If your not concerned about selecting a barrel, [email protected]%king the hammer each time one for each shot, I guess it would be ok. Will you be using a scope?
My gun of preference for heavy cover shots under 100 yards would probably be a 30/30 lever action with a 2 1/2 power burris pistol scope. Back up shot capable, super wide field of view, keep on them while their coming thru.
You could also consider rifles with pump action, semi auto ranch style, or a bolt action scout set up with a foward mounted low power pistol scope.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Remington has come out with a line of guns that look like the savage, Spartin Gun Works. They offer shotgun rifle combo's, over/unders, side by sides and 1 auto. The guns look nice and are affordable.

Many of my friends are shooting auto or pump slug guns now that the new slug offerings are so good. A good slug barrel might be your cheepest route. The guys say 125yrds is no problem w/ open sights.

Good Luck,
BILL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Remington has come out with a line of guns that look like the savage, Spartin Gun Works. They offer shotgun rifle combo's, over/unders, side by sides and 1 auto. The guns look nice and are affordable.

Many of my friends are shooting auto or pump slug guns now that the new slug offerings are so good. A good slug barrel might be your cheepest route. The guys say 125yrds is no problem w/ open sights.

I got some info on the spartin rifles.

Single barrel rifle, SPR18 comes in .223rem, .243rem and .308win @ 195.00
Double rifle, SPR 22 comes in 30-06sprg, 45-70 govt. 559.00
Spr94, comes in 12/.223rem, 12/ 30-06 sprg, and 12/308.win for 516.00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.