Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at my condo in OC. First time in years that I decided to bring a boat. Waste of money at this time. Keeper flounder inside are almost non- existent. Fished 4 hours Thursday and caught several small flounder, sea robins, tiny sea bass, and a first me at OC, lizard fish.

Friday decided to tow down to Va. Stopped by Sea Hawk and talked to Matt about flounder down that way. Should have listened to him. Chincoteague is terrible inside. He said best bet, which was not that good would be Wachapreague or Folly Creek. We picked Wachapreague. Haven't fished there in at least 25 years. We managed to catch two flounder in about 6-7 hours. One 161/2 and one 18 incher. Not only were these the only flounder we caught they were the only bites we had all day. We didn't even catch a clear nosed skate and only one crab. It was slower then slow.

However the off shore bite is good if you have a boat that you can take off shore. The boat I took is a great in shore flounder boat.

On the positive side I kept the boat at Tower Marine in West OC on Sunset Ave a block from the boat ramps. They charged me $75.00 for the week. The place is fenced and secure with a gate. They give you a code no. To enter the storage area so your boat is available 24 hours as they are only open from 8 to 5. The OC public lot on 10th St is $50.00 a week with no security. Of course bigger boats then mine, it's 16 ft, would cost more but some of the spots at Tower are under cover.

We should have realized that Matt was right when there were no boat trailers parked on the street at Wahapreague. All day we only saw about ten boats. We fished near the inlet by Paramore Island in 20 to 30 ft of water. I think the inside bit for flounder is over for the year. Croakers may be caught inside but I don't go to this much time and expense to catch them.

Going on the Morning Star tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
I'm at my condo in OC. First time in years that I decided to bring a boat. Waste of money at this time. Keeper flounder inside are almost non- existent. Fished 4 hours Thursday and caught several small flounder, sea robins, tiny sea bass, and a first me at OC, lizard fish.

Friday decided to tow down to Va. Stopped by Sea Hawk and talked to Matt about flounder down that way. Should have listened to him. Chincoteague is terrible inside. He said best bet, which was not that good would be Wachapreague or Folly Creek. We picked Wachapreague. Haven't fished there in at least 25 years. We managed to catch two flounder in about 6-7 hours. One 161/2 and one 18 incher. Not only were these the only flounder we caught they were the only bites we had all day. We didn't even catch a clear nosed skate and only one crab. It was slower then slow.

However the off shore bite is good if you have a boat that you can take off shore. The boat I took is a great in shore flounder boat.

On the positive side I kept the boat at Tower Marine in West OC on Sunset Ave a block from the boat ramps. They charged me $75.00 for the week. The place is fenced and secure with a gate. They give you a code no. To enter the storage area so your boat is available 24 hours as they are only open from 8 to 5. The OC public lot on 10th St is $50.00 a week with no security. Of course bigger boats then mine, it's 16 ft, would cost more but some of the spots at Tower are under cover.

We should have realized that Matt was right when there were no boat trailers parked on the street at Wahapreague. All day we only saw about ten boats. We fished near the inlet by Paramore Island in 20 to 30 ft of water. I think the inside bit for flounder is over for the year. Croakers may be caught inside but I don't go to this much time and expense to catch them.

Going on the Morning Star tomorrow.
Monty will get you on the off shore bite. Good luck Al.......... Gary

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
X2 - Just got back from vacation this past week - fishing is really bad - actually non-existent. Came home early on Thursday - I can't sit on the beach and do nothing.

Bebopper is right it's not worth dragging a boat to the beach and if you want to fish Delaware licenses and ramp permits are required. Really not user friendly policy. Perhaps Maryland should impose additional fees for Delaware fishermen and crabbers! Nothing against our Delaware neighbors but reciprocity would be a better way to go. Spoke with a mate on one of the larger headboats on Tuesday morning (in Md.) he told me the group that went out the day before (52 of them) caught oly a handful of fish. Pretty pricey for a 1/2 day boat ride. Hope it improves!

Chuck

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Definitely a tough inshore bite. The ocean bite has been very good. Lots of flounder limits the past few weeks with some nice 25+" fish mixed in. Hope the inshore bite turns around.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
I think the water is too warm right now for the seaside shallow water flounder bite. I'll be a the CBBT tomorrow fishing for Cobia.I'll let you know if I hear anything on the bayside flounder bite. I've got 4 building lots together w/septic installed and ready to build in Machipongo Shores, Quinby Va. ,1/2 mile from the public boat ramp on a quiet, wooded road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts