Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
The Fisheries Service started in 1995 under the Resource Management Service. It formed from the Freshwater Fisheries Division and the Tidal Fisheries Division of the former Tidewater Administration.

Freshwater Fisheries Division. The Freshwater Fisheries Division organized in 1991. The Division protected, preserved, and restored the freshwater fish resources of Maryland. Through administration of the Fisheries Management and Protection Fund, the Division conducted scientific investigations and environmental review, propagated fish, and managed the nontidal finfish of the State.
Tidal Fisheries Division. The Tidal Fisheries Division traced its origin to the Commissioners of Fisheries created in 1874 (Chapter 150, Acts of 1874). In 1916, functions of the Commissioners of Fisheries were assigned to the Conservation Commission, which oversaw fish hatcheries (Chapter 682, Acts of 1916). The Conservation Department assumed fisheries duties in 1922 and was replaced in 1939 by the Department of Game and Inland Fish (Chapter 354, Acts of 1939). The Department was superseded in 1941 by the Department of Tidewater Fisheries, which became the Department of Chesapeake Bay Affairs in 1964 (Chapter 508, Acts of 1941; Chapter 82, Acts of 1964). That department, in turn, was replaced by the Fish and Wildlife Administration in 1970 and the Fisheries Administration in 1972 (Chapter 252, Acts of 1970; Chapter 348, Acts of 1972). In 1979, the Fisheries Administration reformed as the Tidal Fisheries Division of the Tidewater Administration. By 1984, the Division was renamed the Fisheries Division and, in 1993, it resumed the name, Tidal Fisheries Division. The Division in 1995 became part of the Fish, Heritage, and Wildlife Administration. Later that year, it joined the Fisheries Service. The Division preserved, enhanced, developed, and oversaw use of fishery resources in Maryland.

In 1995, functions of the Freshwater Fisheries Division and the Tidal Fisheries Division were assumed by the Fisheries Service

The Fisheries Service works through four divisions: Estuarine and Marine Fisheries; Inland Fisheries Management; Management Services; and Policy and Regulatory.

·
Registered
861 Posts
It's just another tax increase, which means they will p*ss away the additional revenues just like always.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Could nontidal finfish mean freshwater fish in resevoirs and nontidal streams like bass, perch, catfish and the like?

BTW, I don't want an increase in my license fees either of course. I think we pay quite enough! For example, this year I paid over $50 to fish in Maryland.

Consolidated Bay Sport Boat $40.00
Resident Non-Tidal 10.50
Trout Stamp 5.00
Total $55.50

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
...haven't read the bill, yet, but I'm not dismissing increased fees out of hand. If we're going to complain about lack of enforcement, lack of accurate Striper harvest counts, etc., then refuse to poney up with the money, then I have to wonder about the sincerity of our complaints.

BTW, my understanding is that DNR's license revenue has been decreasing, since fewer licenses are being sold.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
58 Posts
The Dems Are Going To Get As Much Money As They Can Anytime They Raise A Fee Or Tax

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
If they need to increase revenues, I would support something like a Maryland Recreational Fishing license that covers me for all aspects of recreational fishing in Maryland. Boat, freshwater, trout stamp, crabbing etc. Maybe offer something similar without the boat license for $40 or so.

I think about $65 for this would be fair. It would provide a modest increase to DNR, and it would be a heck of a lot simpler for us.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Could nontidal finfish mean freshwater fish in resevoirs and nontidal streams like bass, perch, catfish and the like?

BTW, I don't want an increase in my license fees either of course. I think we pay quite enough! For example, this year I paid over $50 to fish in Maryland.

Consolidated Bay Sport Boat $40.00
Resident Non-Tidal 10.50
Trout Stamp 5.00
Total $55.50
True but think of the potential revenue they lose by selling the boat license vs. selling induvidual multi day or season tidal licenses to each individual that fishes on the boat.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I just hope the money will go to the DNR and fisheries related programs and not be sent to the general fund.
Less people are buying MD liscence so they are trying to make up the difference.
Shad, Yellow Perch, and oysters are all species they have tried to manage and the situation just seems to get bleaker for these species.
If recs are not catching, why would we waste our money?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bay/tidal license sales have dropped pretty bad the last two years.
Freshwater license sales are up.

They'll squeeze more out of us by the nickel and dime method.
And it'll go to General funds.

Shad?
There are WAY more now than a decade ago.
Decent fishing for both Americans and hicks in upper Patuxent/QA Br area.
Lots of Ams in the Potomac.
And both,in spades,up at Deer Ck/Conowingo.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
My question is:

Who told the bill's sponsor how to set up the Task Force on Fishery Management?
Seems like a lot of good organizations, representing a lot of stakeholders, were side stepped in favor of some duplication of the same people.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
If you read throught the text it looks like the fees will be increased as follows:

Consolidated Bay Sport Boat from $40.00 to $50
Resident Non-Tidal from 10.50 to $20.50
Trout Stamp 5.00 no mention but it will come
Total From $55.50 to $75.00 or more

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
As some one mentioned, I have no problem spending the extra money IF, and this is a big IF, the money goes to directly to the DNR.

The money the DNR gets from the state has dropped and its staff is shrinking. They need the money to properly protect us in the great outdoors whether it is in the woods or on the water and to manage & protect our natural resources.

The problem is they may tell us the money is going to go there, but the first shot they get it will be directed to the general fund and we end up paying more in fees and getting nothing for it.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
I would have to agree with Lance on this one. Why would we want to support a license increase unless the fishing gets better.

There is a reason license sales have decreased over the past couple of years. I know, in my area, if you aren't catching Stripers or Largemouth, there isn't much else. And, the Stripers are only here in numbers in the Spring. After the moritorium they were here all year long.

Personally, I think the recs should get something before supporting another license increase. I hear rumors that a cap on Rec crabbing licenses is being talked about.

If the money we are paying for licenses now went to the DNR there wouldn't be a problem with no money for the DNR.

I could not bring up the link posted above.

Ele

·
Registered
184 Posts
...haven't read the bill, yet, but I'm not dismissing increased fees out of hand. If we're going to complain about lack of enforcement, lack of accurate Striper harvest counts, etc., then refuse to poney up with the money, then I have to wonder about the sincerity of our complaints.

BTW, my understanding is that DNR's license revenue has been decreasing, since fewer licenses are being sold.
Regarding "lack of enforcement" Eric Schwab has been quoted to say that we can look for an increase in boat registration to boost the coffers of the NRP.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts